Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm stumped. Please help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    S. leucophylla is one of the Sarracenia that makes these little dinky pitcher early in the season. come the end of summer and fall it sends out those AMAZING red and white pitchers.
    Alex

What you are seeing has nothing to do with the bi-phasic growth of leucos. While it is true that leucos put out a "smaller" set of pitchers in spring these pitchers are still fully formed, fully functional and can be quite large (one of my first pithers is at 30cm already and still has not opened.)

What you are seeing most likely has to do with the great weather we had a while back. The heat wave followed by the freeze snap. Looks to me that the tips of the pitchers got frosted and then died. Would not worry about it too much as the plant itself shoudl be fine, thoug it may be ugly for a little while.

And I will also chime in on the watering, definitly need to do more. Keep the tray with a minimum of 5cm water in it at all times, your plant wil be happier that way.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone. I'll increase watering, and pray it doesn't cause a fungal infection. Previously I kept them wetter than I do now and developed a major fungus issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus is a problem here. All us Atl growers seem to get it especially during the dog days. I recommend a monthly spray with Orthene ot Clereys.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Fungus is a problem here. All us Atl growers seem to get it especially during the dog days. I recommend a monthly spray with Orthene ot Clereys.
    Will that help with root fungus,though? That's what I've had several times before. It finally stopped recurring when I started letting the tray go dry between waterings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia should not be getting fungus during the growing season, outdoors with plenty of air movement, even if kept very wet.

I'd try looking at the media. If you're using pure peat, try a different brand. Or try more of a sandy mix, or even try live moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean Terminus. I've done away with the tray method because of root rot. I water overhead only now. They dry out significantly more this way...but it reduces rot/fungus. I've lost some good stuff to rot. Keeping them a little drier is worth it and won't hurt them. I avoid sand altogether. Keep the soil light. I use a mixture of peat and perlite or pumice. The peat will retain moisture while the perlite/pumice will aerate the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Sarracenia should not be getting fungus during the growing season, outdoors with plenty of air movement, even if kept very wet.

I'd try looking at the media. If you're using pure peat, try a different brand. Or try more of a sandy mix, or even try live moss.
    I use about 2/3 sand, 1/3 peat. It's helped keep the problem under control and reflects what I've seen them growing in around the state in the wild.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12