Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus in my windowsill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus in my windowsill

Hello there,

Can I put my Cephalotus in a windowsill that gets about 10-12 hours or so of direct sunlight per day and about two-four of filtered/ambient light? Would it get too hot if I kept it's cracked (so there is some air movement, but always stays around 100% humidity, but not at, occasionally if the crack is almost completely closed there will be) "humidity dome" on, it doesn't get hot in the windowsill, not really anyways, but would heat build up inside? I just think the Ceph could like the sunlight. I was going to grow it outside, but, humidity on hot days is about 20%. Way to low for a Ceph. So, I'm keeping it in a windowsill or something. I put it in the windowsill, but, I heard Cephalotus isn't too good with transitions, so will this bother it? The increased sunlight? My Ping/Drosera/Stylidium show no adverse reactions except increased growth from the windowsill, plants outside in the direct sunlight and heat have burned a bit from no acclimation (particularly my VFT's, but not too badly).

Thanks!

~NeciFiX
    - NeciFiX

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends upon the health of the iven plant as to how much change it can take, aside from species characteristics. If the plant is happy, a change like that shouldn't cause any problems. Mine is at a window sill, living through temperature swings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say if your gonna put it in the window DO NOT have a dome over it at all. It won't take much sun to turn the thing into an oven. I've never had a cover on any of mine and they seem to not mind at all.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmm. It's become quite wet inside the dome, the plant seems fine, but, I'm going to crack the dome open as far as possible to avoid that, Droseraguy. You may be right, so I'm going to change it if it begins to bake.
    - NeciFiX

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you need the dome at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    You may be right, so I'm going to change it if it begins to bake.
    By then it might be too late.

You might want to avoid that much direct sunlight, too.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Ceph in November, had heem in a little dome, since the person I got it from had it in like 90% humidity and my house was bone dry.
    He was on the windowsill and as the light got stronger I figured it'd be better to take the dome off before I did cook the thing by accident...

It had maybe 20-25 "infant" pitchers on it when I removed the dome, and they all died off within a few days along with the few adlut pitchers that were on there

This was about a month ago- it is now in full growth, kicking out a nice crop of huge, hardened pitchers and looks much happier and sturdier

I just post this as a "warning" of sorts, a big change in humidity will make the plant seem VERY unhappy for a little bit but it'll be okay, better off in the long run for sure
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's in a north facing window that gets a lot of indirect light with a light misting every night. It seems to be doing quite well(putting out lots of leaves, both pitchered and non). Its still pretty young though, so we'll just see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what is a good amount of sunlight for these things? I have a tiny seedling under some lights in the "closet-o-plants" and thought about moving it. No windowsill is getting a ton of light all day, but a few are certainly getting a good bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast