What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus in my windowsill

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Hello there,

Can I put my Cephalotus in a windowsill that gets about 10-12 hours or so of direct sunlight per day and about two-four of filtered/ambient light? Would it get too hot if I kept it's cracked (so there is some air movement, but always stays around 100% humidity, but not at, occasionally if the crack is almost completely closed there will be) "humidity dome" on, it doesn't get hot in the windowsill, not really anyways, but would heat build up inside? I just think the Ceph could like the sunlight. I was going to grow it outside, but, humidity on hot days is about 20%. Way to low for a Ceph. So, I'm keeping it in a windowsill or something. I put it in the windowsill, but, I heard Cephalotus isn't too good with transitions, so will this bother it? The increased sunlight? My Ping/Drosera/Stylidium show no adverse reactions except increased growth from the windowsill, plants outside in the direct sunlight and heat have burned a bit from no acclimation (particularly my VFT's, but not too badly).

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

It really depends upon the health of the iven plant as to how much change it can take, aside from species characteristics. If the plant is happy, a change like that shouldn't cause any problems. Mine is at a window sill, living through temperature swings.

I would say if your gonna put it in the window DO NOT have a dome over it at all. It won't take much sun to turn the thing into an oven. I've never had a cover on any of mine and they seem to not mind at all.

Mmm. It's become quite wet inside the dome, the plant seems fine, but, I'm going to crack the dome open as far as possible to avoid that, Droseraguy. You may be right, so I'm going to change it if it begins to bake.

I don't think you need the dome at all.

You may be right, so I'm going to change it if it begins to bake.

By then it might be too late.

You might want to avoid that much direct sunlight, too.

xvart.

I got a Ceph in November, had heem in a little dome, since the person I got it from had it in like 90% humidity and my house was bone dry.
He was on the windowsill and as the light got stronger I figured it'd be better to take the dome off before I did cook the thing by accident...

It had maybe 20-25 "infant" pitchers on it when I removed the dome, and they all died off within a few days along with the few adlut pitchers that were on there

This was about a month ago- it is now in full growth, kicking out a nice crop of huge, hardened pitchers and looks much happier and sturdier

I just post this as a "warning" of sorts, a big change in humidity will make the plant seem VERY unhappy for a little bit but it'll be okay, better off in the long run for sure

Mine's in a north facing window that gets a lot of indirect light with a light misting every night. It seems to be doing quite well(putting out lots of leaves, both pitchered and non). Its still pretty young though, so we'll just see what happens.

So what is a good amount of sunlight for these things? I have a tiny seedling under some lights in the "closet-o-plants" and thought about moving it. No windowsill is getting a ton of light all day, but a few are certainly getting a good bit.

Can I put my Cephalotus in a windowsill that gets about 10-12 hours or so of direct sunlight per day
Yes. (Insert usual disclaimer to harden plant off and not stick it in bright direct light immediately here)

Would it get too hot if I kept it's cracked (so there is some air movement, but always stays around 100% humidity, but not at, occasionally if the crack is almost completely closed there will be) "humidity dome" on...
Why do people insist on keeping CPs in 100% humidity when the only time it's that high in nature is when it's raining or your standing in a rain forest? Google the weather for Ausralia. Humidity for Albany, Australia is about 70%. My Cephs are in a shallow tray and handle low humidity just fine. Harden yours off and ditch the dome.

I was going to grow it outside, but, humidity on hot days is about 20%.
Way to low for a Ceph.
Take a couple of leaf cuttings so you'll have plants to experiment with. My cephs handle the low humidity (20% - 35%) with no problem. You might also try placing the plant in a bright shady spot. They'd still get more light than if they were inside, but not the full brunt of the direct sun.

I heard Cephalotus isn't too good with transitions, so will this bother it?
My plants are illiterate and don't know this. Please don't tell them or I won't be able to move them around or put them outside like I've been doing.

Back