User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can these two Sarrs be salvaged?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post can these two Sarrs be salvaged?

I acquired these to very stunted and weak Sarrs at a great discount from a local Lowe's.

I thought, "What the heck, maybe I can get them to perk up and survive." So I grabbed 'em up.

Lowe's calls 'em "Red Pitcher Plants" on the cruel plastic coffins they come in, but I don't know what species they actually are...

Anyway, I repotted them and trimmed away dead leaves:

Having little experience with Sarrs; I want to know if I should just go ahead and trim off ALL the twisted and scraggily leaves on these two plants and hope that healthy and straight pitchers come up next?

Besides water and light, is there anything else I need to do right now to help these poor little fellas??

Thanks,
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of water and wait, I'd guess. Let it keep what leaves it has so it can still photosynthesize. Other than that wait it out. When it finally comes back around it will put out new leaves on its own
    Updated Growlist!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will come back. I did the same thing a while back. They look pretty funky for a while, possibly the whole season, but once you get new growth it will start "normalizing."

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory they provide photosynthesis

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get them into full sun and keep them well watered and they'll do fine.

You should see the ones I bought on New Year's eve from Lowe's - two in one 3 inch pot actually. Green, 2.5-4 inch tall leaves with mold on top, thinner than a pencil. I cleaned the mold off with 50% rubbing alcohol, acclimated them for about a week by slowing lifting the dome and under lights, then to the windowsill for about 3 weeks until it warmed up. Then outside. Repotted after about 3 weeks outside.

Some of the new pitchers are 6 - 6.5 inches tall, good color - at least a dozen pitchers in various states of growth.

See this thread

In fact I think I'll go out right now and take a couple pictures before the light goes and provided the wind has died down.

BTW is there any indication as to the nursery or distributor is of the cubes on the label?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Botanical Wonders. They're generally the Lowes suppliers.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Botanical Wonders. its S. rubra. my wrigleyana looked like then when i got it. i put it out in sun and it perked up in a few weeks.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll be fine, they're just starved of sun. Give them lots of light, but gradually acclimatise them so they're in full sun in a couple of weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast