What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia germination

I noticed these two guys in my seed tray yesterday. I guess they must be a couple weeks old, since they already have a true leaf.
I also have a question. I've read that they need cool temps on their roots. If the day temp reaches 79 F (26 C), and the night temp reaches 69 F (20-21 C), will they do fine? I still try to water them with cold water overhead every now and then.

Grown from seed, Darlingtonia don't seem to need babying like that described for adult plants. If you can keep the soil from warming up in direct sun, the plants should be able to adapt. Shield the sides of the pot if you can; shade it with styrofoam, or surround it with other slightly taller pots. I wouldn't use cold water if I were you, because then the plants will begin to expect cold water. Use room-temperature water - simply top-watering is enough to remove a lot of the ambient warmth from the soil. Colombia is a little outside of Darlingtonia's range, but I've heard of people growing Darlingtonia as a subtropical year-round with Nepenthes, so I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled it off.
Best luck,
~Joe

Thanks a lot seedjar. Actually they are in a terrarium, so they don't recieve any direct (or indirect) sunlight. I don't think the lightbulbs will heat the seed rack, but I was thinking of covering or painting it with something white to be sure.
About growing them year-round, I didn't know it was possible. I was thinking of placing them in the fridge during "winter".

Back