Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Darlingtonia

CThrash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse First Darlingtonia

Well I bought carnivorous plant for the first time in about 3 years today. I was at lowes and I came across the carnivorous plants, or what was left of them. After standing in the aisle staring at all the brown mushy plants, with a single tear running down my cheek, I noticed in the very back of the row a small patch of green. I bent down and picked it up and it was a small Cobra Lily with all its leaves! I immediatly felt the need to rescue the poor thing.

So after buying the Cobra Lily and some sphangum I rushed home and here I am. My carnivorous plant experience is limited. I used to grow various kinds of sundews, although my mom killed them all off when I left for college...sadness.

I live in zone 6-B (upper-middle Tennessee, USA) Will they be ok outside?

If not what type of lighting should I provide for inside?

I have to repot it, obviously, but I read that their roots tend to be Ultra-sensitive. Any advice on repoting would be helpfull.

Just generally any advice on making this thing live will be much appreciated. I have read threw a couple guides but nothing beats the advice of an experienced grower. Bear in mind I have never even seen a Cobra Lily with my own eyes, much less have grown one.

Thank you much for any help- Colby
    Wicked Clown Love

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren't ultra-sensitive about being repotted, but they like to be kept cool and that's why most of us have a hard time with them, or don't grow them at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha 2 posts Darlingtonia honestly isnt the best "first CP". it needs to have its roots cool and can be fairly slow growing. have you check the roots of your plant yet? if they are black you probably already have a problem. take it slowly when adjusting it to more light.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not too difficult to repot, just try not to disturb the roots a whole lot.

Give it good light, cool temperatures (room temperature is fine) and always water it from the top daily. Keep it in a tray of water as well.. just fill up the tray by watering it from the top. So far I've had some awesome success with my darlingtonia. It's growing pretty fast too.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrasher, I have one growing outside in full sun and it's putting on new growth like a weed. I repotted in peat and perlite going a lot heavy on the perlite around the roots. Since they like there roots cool, when it gets hot in the afternoons I pour some room temp water over the roots. So far it's worked, now when the temps hit close to 100 I'll probably have to rethink this and grow it differently. Good luck growing yours.

Chris

CThrash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh I missed typed...sorry bout that. I actually have grown before, just not very much.
    I've grown a couple Leucophyllas (both fell victim to my newbieness........and fungus gnats), countless wall-mart flytraps (stupid wall mart....poor flytraps), and I had a decent Sundew Terrarium that my mom massacred while I was away at college (sadness, that was my pride and joy) But the sundews were the only thing I could ever grow, however these aint no sundews.

I just dug up all my old growing stuff i could find...so many memories...
    What kind of lights do you have on your guys Darlings?

Aye I'm going to go repot that little SoB right now, I'll post on the condition of the root system.
    Wicked Clown Love

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't grow them, too hot in Ga. Use sun preferably, next best thing would be HID lighting. These upright plants like Darlingtonia and most Sarracenia don't really do that great under a crappy little shop light.

"Give them every damn photon you can, because these plants love light." as Barry Rice would say. Err... did say. Err... well he typed it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one of these and one of these.

All my CPs grow incredibly well under these lights.

(Thanks to Av8tor1 for recommending them.)
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast