What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well water and Sarrs

• Thread starter Chris36
  • Start date
Anybody use well water on there sarrs? I was wondering if it would be a good replacement for distilled water. I can't see it being that bad but would like to here what others think about this.

I have seen and smelled some well water that I wouldn't even drink...

it could be coming out of limestone or have someones septic tank leaching into it... etc etc etc

IMHO you better have it tested first...

as a general rule i would say avoid....

Depends on the well. Our well water is filtered 3 times before it's drinkable, and then it's still got ... clay in it.

Thanks for the replies. Look like I should go ahead and get it tested. We actually have some really good well water here given how swampy it is and I know its drinkable, but I'm not sure of the numbers.

It's possible, but not generally probable. I am fortunate enough to be able to use it. I still flush my pots with rain every once in a while.

Wesley have you seen any ill effects on your plants??

Yum, clay. I think I'd prefer that over sewage though. :p

I never drink my well water... except when I make kool-aid.

I wouldn't want my sarrs (or any other CP for that matter) 'drinking' it either.

For an easy "ballpark" look you can do a qualitative comparison. Take a piece of tin foil and put a drop or so of your water you use to water your plants on the tin foil. Next, put a drop of the well water on the tin foil. Heat the tin foil up a bit so the water evaporates (an elective stove on the lowest setting should do; if you're using gas, you can set the tinfoil in a pan and do it.) Presumably, there will be little to no residue left where the distilled water was, if the well water leaves a whitish circle on the tinfoil, then you've got some investigating to do. You've evaporated all of the water, so only the dissolved solids are left. The tinfoil just makes the white spots easier to see.

Note, even if there's no white circle, you still should do some investigating.

Back