Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus in trouble

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim's pic shows a good moisture indicator, at least one I use... see how the tips of the sphagnum are blackened... thats what you want, nice moisture level when you see that... much more water and the sphagnum starts actively growing...

they can handle more, but it comes with risk... where his is at is pretty close to ideal IMHO, mine are a little bit wetter... but just a little

I wouldn't cover them at night, especially if the environment is 70-80%RH

and mature cephs have a nasty reputation for not shipping well

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you guys got yours from the worng place if they don't ship well. When I got mine last year I had no shock with it at all. I even re-potted it after I dropped it and it did not even go into shock or anything. But I guess when you buy from the best you get the best. and it was way cheap.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send it back. Whoever it was will send a new one. If they don't, don't buy from them again. Don't give them 100% of the blame because Cephalotus can be tempermental.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't have a ton of experience with cephs, but I use a tray to water mine, but I only fill it up about 1/4" of water and then let it dry out for a couple days before watering again. The soil never looks dry on the top, but it is certainly not sopping wet.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone. For the sake of the plant I don't think I'd send it back. It will really go off on its way if I send it back. By the time the sender unpacks it nothing will save it.

But, now I've had a few conflicting pieces of advice. The sender himself told me to dig it out of the sandy mix and repot it into peat + perlite. Sand, coral sand seems to be a commonly used mix for cephs although I havent tried any in it until this one.

I'm not sure whether to dig it out and repot it and maybe slice it up at the same time or just leave it and reduce the watering. I havent tried rhizome slicing before and I'm not too sure how to do it. You read everywhere how you can hack a ceph up and plant it but I dont think they recover well especially stressed like this one.

I've also been told to remove all the sphagnum on the top layer although my other cephs seem to thrive with it growing in there.

I think I'll reduce the watering but I dont know if its bad enough to repot and / or hack up the rhizome into cuttings. If I do hack it up, I just split it into 2 or 3 and plant them?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coral sand?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it is "Ceph Sudden Death Syndrome" (Pythium sp.) research suggest that it can be spread via fungus gnats,
    so be on the safe side and isolate it from the rest of your cephs until the situation is resolved

SDS will act fast

(in my experience the key indicator is the leaves/pitchers dying rapidly but remaining green with a rough, grainy dried appearance)

good luck and keep us posted

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    if it is "Ceph Sudden Death Syndrome" (Pythium sp.) research suggest that it can be spread via fungus gnats,
    so be on the safe side and isolate it from the rest of your cephs until the situation is resolved

SDS will act fast

(in my experience the key indicator is the leaves/pitchers dying rapidly but remaining green with a rough, grainy dried appearance)

good luck and keep us posted

Av
    Thanks for the resource, I've checked out the link. This is not what's happening to my ceph. My dood is consistently limp day and night. I tried digging him out to repot. The rhizome is black and hard but some parts of it are soft. All the leaves fell off except for 3. All the fallen leaves have black petioles -- no cutting is likely to strike from here. Shucks, have I lost the ceph? *sobs*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast