Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cephalotus in trouble

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the symptoms are not specific to cephs.. cephs die of it very quickly

and as far as i Know it is still only assumed to be a Pythium variant or closely related to it, but the same bio-treatments have proven to be successful

I would still plant what I had, cant hurt... they can surprise ya

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say go ahead and re-pot it, and at the very least take several cuttings. Then if the actual plant dies you have a good chance of getting some healthy youngsters out of the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I don't think I can take any cuttings, I dug it out, and some of the leaves fell off. There are only three left. With believes that fell off, most of them are turning black at the petiole. Some of the pitchers also starting to turn black and everything is very soft and limp. It feels like the pitcher is made of tissue paper and the minute you touch it will collapse. The same goes for the petiole. Of the three that are remaining attached to the stem of the cephalotus, all three are starting to turn black at the petiole near the region that is stuck to the mainstem. I don't think any of these is going to strike as a viable cutting. Unless you also just thing I take rhizome cuttings. But, the rhizome is not that big to begin with. I don't think I should try and split it further. How long would you wait on a dry stump without any leaves before considering it's time to give up on it? After two weeks I don't see any new growth at all, and things are just continuing to die off. Do I'd continue this until it has passed a month? Or do you wait longer?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the one I was referring to took about 4-6 weeks, it was a smallish rhizome section with no leaves and no pitchers...

I had just about give up on it, but it was in a pot with another plant.... otherwise I probably would have

that cutting now has 1.5" pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we are 3 weeks later and its looking sadder than ever

I hope this will turn around in another 3 - 5 weeks *sob*

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have sent it back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    You should have sent it back.
    Yes. That would have been the best option.

Cephalotus is temperamental, especially mature ones, and the fact you had a little oops with the growth points wasn't helpful...

Sorry to say, it's PROBABLY dead. But, who knows, it may come back from the roots. I'd keep the pot.

I'd still talk to the person who you bought it from see if you can get anything.

Best wishes,

~NeciFiX
    - NeciFiX

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123