Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fertilizing seedlings

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, interesting indeed. And certainly cheaper than the energy costs of the Bugweed 24/7 light and warming method which as claimed can yield flowering plants from seedlings in as little as three years also.

I wonder what would happen if you combine the fertilization with the lights and warming?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the issues w/ fertilization is the 'enhanced' growth of algae / slime on top of the substrate. While mostly cosmetic, it can be an issue for seedlings ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about foliar fertilizing? I guess that wouldn't be harmful on the root system, nor would it enhance the growth of algae. Anyone have any experience (specially with cobra lilies)?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most common and quickest way to foliar feed a plant is to spray it on the foliage. Some of the over-spray will inevitably end up on the soil where it will incourage algae growth. With seedlings, it's hard to not to get a lot on the soil. The other method is a bit more labor intensive and time consuming and that is to "paint" the solution on to the leaves with a brush or Q-tip. If you only have a few seedlings, it's no problem. If you have a bunch, then you'll be at it a while. And if you lose track of which ones you've done and which ones you haven't.....
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been inspired by this thread to do some experimenting. I'll post results down the road.

I dabbed a cotton swab in the diluted fertilizer and touched it to the heads of some sarracenia. The swab absorbed much of the water so it didn't drench the plant. We'll see what happens. The seedlings are a few months old and are separate from the non-fertilized ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've had nothing but positive results using a dilute Miracid solution, sprayed on Sarracenia seedlings, about every 3 weeks during the summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12