Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PitcherPlant Questions

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey GreyWalker,
    Welcome to the forums. To get your water tested just take a sample to your local water supply and they'll check it for you. Since you live on the coast (I love the NC coast) if you really wanted to you could just stick the plant pot and all in the ground and leave it. It'd be in the perfect climate and do well.

As for the ID, you got it from Lowes so it is most likely a Sarracenia Purpurea ssp. Venosa. The "ssp" stands for subspecies.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant was in a dome (plastic cup) and not a cube? Did you happen to notice if there was a nursery or company on the label (take peek at this post)?

Yes, it appears to be Sarracenia purpurea most likely ssp venosa. Amazing that it colored up so quickly but then as noted before you are in prime Sarracenia growing territory.

It appears to be potted in Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss (LFS). I'm concerned that you said there were minerals in the moss. Where did you get the moss? Did you just recycle what it was planted in to begin with? In that case it's probably okay and the "minerals" is probably perlite.

These plants have evolved/adapted to waterlogged conditions - acidic, nutrient and mineral poor soils - the constant water seepage washes away most nutrients and minerals. I don't know the exact mechanism but the eventual build up of minerals (salts in particular) from water high in dissolved solids is harmful to these plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Lyke OMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was in a cube from Botanical Wonders. I am worried about planting it in the ground. I drink from the 5gal bottles of Primo water. Is that safe to use?

The moss had perlite in it that I bought from Lowes.
    In 1987 American Airlines saved $40,000 by eliminating one olive from its First Class salads.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plant it in the ground? No don't do that unless you have a natural bog.

Primo water is bad. It's distilled or purified through RO first, and thats good, but then they add calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate, and sodium bicarbonate back to it for flavor and that's bad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you confirm that it is Sphagnum moss? The Spanish Moss and green moss Lowes also sells will surely kill your plant. It doesn't look like Spanish moss. Green moss can look similar to some Sphagnum and sometimes requires close examination.

Lyke OMG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was Sphagnum moss with perlite that I bought.
    In 1987 American Airlines saved $40,000 by eliminating one olive from its First Class salads.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit: Final thought - was the perlite with or without fertilizer (Miracle-Gro)?

If without fertilizer other than the question of the quality of your water everything seems fine. Outdoor growing with plenty of full sun should be perfect for that plant. Just keep an eye out for insect damage and you should enjoy your pitcher plant for many years.

If it is with fertilizer - toss out your mix and replant it in straight LFS - which will be just fine for your plant.

See Barry Rice's FAQ.

Here's a snapshot of the one I bought at Armstrong's on New Years Eve (Booman Florals), the third pitcher from the left back row is easily twice the size of the largest pitcher that was on it when I bought it. The color is nowhere as dark as the original pitchers:

Here's what it looked like not too long ago (March 3 trimmed off old leaves except the one in back):

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12