What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proof that I'm growing! (Pictures)

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
It's been so long since I've posted any pictures of my plants that most people figure I don't actually grow anything. :p Here are a few pictures from the past few weeks or so.

Cephalotus:

Pot shot:
ceph01.jpg

Newer pot shot:
ceph02.jpg

Closeup of the offshoot:
ceph03.jpg

Toothy closeup:
ceph04.jpg

Sarracenia:

Three of the variation found in my group of S. flava 'Copper Top' F2 seedlings:

coppertopf201.jpg

coppertopf202.jpg

coppertopf203.jpg

S. 'Judith Hindle' young pitchers. As these age, they'll turn a very dark red which will bleed out of the veins across the rest of the pitcher. I'll try to post an updated picture to show you guys what I'm talking about:

colours01.jpg

Last edited:
A group of flowers from... S. areolata, Wayne co., Alabama. I believe, that's right, but I'm a bit tired. I'll confirm in the morning. ;)

flowerfield.jpg

Ok, now here's a story for ya. Every now and then, a member will post a picture because one of their plants caught a frog, but I've got an extra little twist. I found the guy pictured below on a mini bog of mixed CPs. The twist: my plants are grown on a second story balcony. Now how the HECK did he get up here?! lol
Rest assurred that I removed him from the pot and released 'im down where he belongs.

froggy01.jpg

froggy02.jpg

The following pictures are of recently-opened flowers from my S. minor out of Wayne co., Georgia. There are two flowers, and they both exhibit the long petal morphology. As this is my only minor: Is this common for this species?

longpetals01.jpg

longpetals02.jpg

longpetals03.jpg

And since we're talking about weird flowers, I've noticed that a good number of flowers this year display different numbers of petals from the same exact plant. Sometimes two petals come out where one should, and sometimes there's an extra "section." Possibly the strangest flower mutation I've come accross is this:

Can you spot it in the first picture? Count closely! lol (HINT: The noodly-appendages growing off of the flower are only my fingers. :-D )
mutantflower01.jpg

See?!
mutantflower02.jpg

Now I just need to see how it works out with pollination. When the ovaries swell up, I'll check to see if there is an extra partition for the extra stigma. BTW, the plant this is on is on of my S. rubra ssp. gulfensis Ancestral Form from Crawford co., Georgia.

Last edited:
A new offshoot forming! Yay! Will have to get the name in the morning- tooo tired to remember. Wait, am I DRIVING?! --Edit: The plant is S x areolata. (Thanks for pointing out my mistake, Pyro. :) )

offshoot01.jpg

The previously seen S. 'Judith Hindle' complete with flower. :)

pair02.jpg

Looks to be S. x ahelsii (I know there's location data somewhere!) Also complete with flower:

pairing01.jpg

And this one just reminds me of one of the hats that Robbin Hood wears. :p

robbinhood01.jpg

And an overall shot of one of my minibogs:

minibog01.jpg

Heliamphora:

I'll have to get some better and updated pictures, I always have a hard time getting a good shot of these.

Closeups of the best pitcher on my H. 'Tequila'

heli01.jpg

heli02.jpg

That's all for now! Hopefully more will come.

Last edited:
Nice photos and plants!

Tom

I like your mini-bogg Est!

Very nice.
thumbs_up.gif

Dang. I like ur yellow flower. Nice pics!!!

Hey Est, what do you do for your Tequilas? You can see what I do for mine and what mine look like on a thread I posted a few days ago. Yours seems to be similarly colored with maybe a little more yellow. I just want to see what it will accept. Also how big are the pitchers?

Closeup of the offshoot:

Offshot of a D. spatulata x Cephalotus follicularis hybrid?! lol.

Rest assurred that I removed him from the pot and released 'im down where he belongs.

You mean in depths of a pitcher plant? :-))

Thanks for sharing. You've got some great plants going there. Your ceph is amazing!

xvart.

Hey Est, what do you do for your Tequilas? You can see what I do for mine and what mine look like on a thread I posted a few days ago. Yours seems to be similarly colored with maybe a little more yellow. I just want to see what it will accept. Also how big are the pitchers?

I'll try to get another shot for you when it's light out. From rhizome to top of the nectar spoon, the biggest pitcher is 5 inches tall. It actually just grows on a windowsill. No humidity dome tank, supplemental lights or anything. I try to keep it pretty wet, but it dries out a bit between waterings. Humidity levels during the day are nothing to write home about, though I don't have any exact measurements. Due the to relatively extreme temperature drops during the night, humidity is usually pretty high, and since my window is usually open over-night they get at least some higher humidity. If all Helis react this well to my windowsill, I want MORE! lol

You mean in depths of a pitcher plant?

It's as nature wanted it! :p Naw, he went downstairs in to the ivy. Seriously. Don't look at me like that. :-D

Offshot of a D. spatulata x Cephalotus follicularis hybrid?

I should introduce you to my Venus Flytrap, Butterwort cross. [/Little Shop reference] hehe

Well, shucks, since I don't have enough pictures to justify making picture topics in all the other specific plant forums, I'll just dump the rest of the pictures here. Hope you enjoy. :-D Thanks for all of the comments so far!

A shot of one of my S. purpurea that I am sort of fond of. It isn't good in terms of showing you the entire profile of the plant, but I like the colours. heh

bundlepurp01.jpg

Nepenthes:

N. sibuyanensis basals. Two of them. This plant doesn't grow too well for me, but it makes basals like none other!

basals01.jpg

On of the latest pitchers on my N. hamata. The pitcher is about 1 inch tall. The plant itself is probably about 3 inches across and growing! Another windowsill plant. The new pitchers coming in are looking even bigger.

hamata01.jpg

Venus Flytraps:

Your average Typical. With a gorey-looking twist. I'm rather fond of this plant. The red beyond the inner lobes really make this one look vicious!

goreytrap01.jpg

A closeup of a few of my D. 'Pink Venus' traps in various states of development. Once again, no real plant profile in the picture, but I think it looks nice enough.

pinkvenus01.jpg

Drosera:

Taking a random picture one day, I discovered something. I didn't see it on the plant at the time, only in the shot after I was reviewing my pictures for the day. There's a teeny bug in the white box.

mealtime01.jpg

And a closer view.
mealtime02.jpg

Aaaand last for now is a gooey, sticky, digested meal on what I believe is my D. intermedia 'Carolina Giant'. Just makes ya hungry, doesn't it?

mealtime03.jpg

I'm still hitting Page Down! Great cultivating!

I guess we'll have to belive you now ! Nice pics.

A new offshoot forming! Yay! Will have to get the name in the morning- tooo tired to remember. Wait, am I DRIVING?! --Edit: The plant is S. flava 'All Green'

offshoot01.jpg

At the risk of bursting you bubble , the obvious anthocyanin production would argue that whoever gave thal plant to you as an "all green" was lying. Most likely it is just a var. maxima. :)

At the risk of bursting you bubble , the obvious anthocyanin production would argue that whoever gave thal plant to you as an "all green" was lying. Most likely it is just a var. maxima. :)

Woopsie! Too many pictures. hehe Actually, this picture is from one of my S. x areolata. Thanks for catching that mistake. hehe I'll edit in the correct name.

:nono: I need to wake up.

Okay, I have a question now.

I know that S. flava 'Maxima' is supposedly an all-green variety, but it produces anthocyanin which is present in the buds of new pitchers. Is it considered all-green because it produces veinless pitchers?

The latest issue of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter had a new cultivar description of an anthocyanin-free S. flava 'Suspicion'. Being anthocyanin free, would the pitchers look like the pitchers of a 'Maxima'? Is the only difference in the two because immature pitchers in 'Maxima' have red coloration?

Just curious...

Will

its not all green. Maxima flava have green pitchers. with slightly reddish bases. so unlike normal flava, there is no throat splotch.
Alex

Est,

No problem, I like to try and catch things if they are mislabeled. Nothing irks me more than getting a bogus plant (for example, ask me about my 'Hurricane Creek White' which has red veins...) so I wanted to make sure it was not happening to you. Glad it was a misID.

Glider has it mostly correct. S. flava var. maxima (note that it is not a cultivar, just a varient of the species) does produce anthocyanin but its expression is mainly limited to the growth point, though areas of damage will turn red as will the leaves in winter. Plants labled var. maxima should not be called "all green" as that is not correct.

With a plant like 'Suspicion' there is a mutation in one of the genes for the production of anthocyanin. As such, the plant does not make any of the pigment and so it is green all over, from the growth point up and it will not "bruise" red.

There is no red colouration evident in any parts of the plant, including cladophylls and rhizome. Nor does the plant display spots of red discolouration when damaged, as is normally the case in Sarracenia.
thats a part of the ICPS discription of 'Suspicion'. no red damage...so if i got a light deprived plant (how could i tell haha) put it out in full sun. it would not have burn marks on it? it will burn...but what color would it be? brown...green?
Alex

Even light deprived plants will damage red. Damage colouration has nothing to do with light levels. Damage in antho free plants just does not attain colouration but it will eventually brown. If I had my camera I would take picks of my anto-free rubra to show you an example but unfortunatle the camera is at the reapir center.

Back