Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia flava troubles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia flava troubles

I received a Sarracenia flava some time ago from a seller on eBay, its largest pitcher was already broken, and the others top part came off. It made new growth within a week, however, it has taken it months to make the pitchers, and one just opened the other day, about 1/3 of the largest pitcher, and it's grown about 3x slower than my Cephalotus has. All my other Sarracenia are pumping out pitchers like a kid puts quarters in the little metal arm grab machine at the Wal-Mart entrance hoping to get a stuffed animal.

The media is wet like my other Sarracenia, it is in the exact same conditions. I don't know if this is it, but, it's in like a 4 inch tall pot, and 2 or so inches wide, the media is slightly more than halfway down the pot (the surface), then the plant is potted. So I think it'd have 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch of root space. Could it be just over crowded? The original pitchers were larger than 6 inches I'm sure, but smaller than a foot.

Thanks!

~NeciFiX
    - NeciFiX

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably more a matter of transplant shock than root crowding. According to Barry Rice root crowding with Sarrs isn't that big of a problem - as they have relatively weak roots.

I'd back off a bit on the watering until it starts growing actively again. If it's in the same tray as your other Sarrs maybe raise the bottom of the pot up from the tray a little.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that it is overcrowded, I have seen plants pushing out the sides of the pots that they are in and doing really good! It probably is a little shocked but also you have to remember that it is a flava. They send up their best pitchers in the spring and then really slow down or stop in summer and may just send up phyllodia. It will more than likely be fine.
    I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never transplanted it and it's been here for a few months and I notice Sarras seem to recover quicker, but, I think you might be right.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was sent potted? Maybe the media is bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like regular peat, but, then again, I never recalled there was a huge difference between peat and potting soil, or it could have fertilizer in it, you could be right on that.

What action should I do? Transplanting it?
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what to tell you. How long have you had the plant by the way?

If the seller is somebody with a good reputation in the CP community then it is probably ok. If the person is an unknown then I would repot.

It's also possible there was root damage in shipping. A smaller division of a S. oreophila snapped off a division I received in April. Most of the major root on the small division snapped off in shipment too. It's not growing leaves - putting the energy into growing roots but it's not dying either. The leaves that weren't damaged in shipment are still firm and green - just growing very slowly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some plants just grow more slowly. Ex. my F. red tube is one of the slowest growing plants there could be, after four years its still only has three pitchers that are only 5 to 6 inches tall.
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast