What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One-sided S. Purpurea Growth

Today while watering my patio bogs I was inspired to post on an unusual S. Purpurea of mine that only produces pitchers on one-side. I've had the plant in question for three years, and it has been this way the whole time. As you can see from the photo below, it looks healthy and continues to produce abundant leaves on its growing side. The big color difference is because around a month ago my condo board cited me for keeping my bogs in the "common area", so now they only get 4 to 5 hours of sun except on weekends, when I put them out and watch them.

pitcherav8.jpg

Has anyone else ever seen this type of growth?

I half wonder if I accidentally planted the crown sideways when I first planted it. If I had, one would think that it would have uprighted itself after three years, right?

My ssp venosa puts out 2-3 leaves to 1 in a lopsided manner. I figure it's just caused from Tissue Culture when the plantlets were separated or scarring on the rhizome when divided. I think there are actually at least two growing points on the plant - each one growing in different directions.

P5200092.jpg

Plants are organic things and don't always grow in a neat, even manner!

Plants are organic things and don't always grow in a neat, even manner!

People are organic too and the same thing happens!

Tom

Murphy's first law of biology: "Under any given set of environmental conditions an experimental animal behaves as it damn well pleases."

Pretty weird. I know purps are slow growers, but I would have thought that at least one new grow point would have started.

Thanks for the thoughts.

It's sort of neat, IMO.

Back