What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Root Issue (Urgent)

Fabulous! More pics, more pics! You don't post enough pics of your plants and grow area!

What are your conditions?

I dont post enuff pics, man aint that the pot calling the kettle black Clint LOL ;)

the heli are in a mix of 7 parts cypress bark, 3 parts Chilean LFS, 1 part schultz orchid mix

my helis get watered/misted twice daily with RO till it pours out the bottom, 40-60%RH, 70f

I use a pressurized sprayer to water and mist, IMHO the pressurized sprayer raises the oxygen levels of the water ( the whole vapor pressure thang) to simulate the higher oxy levels of rain compared to simply using tap or bucket, resulting in a better gas exchange... but thats just my way of thinking, no controlled experiements just hillbilly common sense LOL

oh and of course monthly drench of tric and bacillus :)

but I didnt have to say that did I LOL

Av

Here's mine. It (they) took a little while to get used to my conditions but now they are growing well, I think. There's even a family of spring tails living in one of the old pitchers.

Is 70 degrees your night time high or day time temp?

DSC02637.jpg

DSC02641.jpg

DSC02643.jpg

Don't laugh at my wimpy nectar spoons lol. They are right under a low-hanging 250 watt. MH and I just added a fogger to increase the humidity to like, 90%. If I lower the light more, I sacrifice valuable growing space and could burn some plants. If those spoons don't bulk up soon I dunno what I'll do. Not settled in quite enough, I guess. These are my first Heliamphora I've ever had success with.

How is yours chrono?

I think they look great clint, nice job IMHO

mine stay 70f day and night during the summer, mid 50's day and night in winter. It's in a basement with tons of thermal mass that keep temps constant (poured 12" concrete walls and floor, insulated ceiling and it's 90% below ground level. Ive been hit by 3 tornadoes over the last 30 yrs, so when I built this house I basically built myself a bunker LOL)... I couldn't change temps if I wanted too without using massive amounts of BTU's, believe me Ive tried LOL

and i use 4 T12's (special order bulbs though ;) )

how's your tequila doin?

The 'Tequila" is the back one in the first pic, front one in the second pic. It's not as colorful as I'd like since my temps are so warm. The other is H. heterodoxa x minor. I'd love to find an adult H. heterodoxa somewhere.

"wink wink readers"

They are in straight LFS.

ahhh yes, I couldn't see the forest for the trees so to speak, didnt we determine that you had the B clone and I had the C?

dont remember now... but we gotta do some swapping when the time comes to separate the babies :)

I cant wait till my H. pulchella (sp?) starts putting out mature pitchers :), its been growing like a weed

Av

Yes, we'll have to. I've got like.. 2 or 3 plants in the 'Tequila' clump but I'm not going to split them for awhile lmao.

Back