What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Root Issue (Urgent)

Alright so.. it was an impulse buy...

heli1.jpg

$25... honestly who could resist that?

Anyways.. onto the issue! As you may already know.. this is my first heli. So I'm kinda freaking out that it's here already and the way the rhizome is growing, I haven't got a pot big enough for it. I'm guessing that the previous owner had it in a shallow and long container because I've seen pics and this kind of growth doesn't look entirely normal... So my question is.. if I put the rh so that they are pointed down... would the pitchers right themselves? I can't really think of anything else to do... unless I like... cut the rhizome.. which seems like a big no-no to me since I know they're fragile and finicky about their roots.

hahahahha I noticed that you have To Kill a Mocking Bird. I had to read it and it was sooo boring!!! I failed my test anyways :p

Sorry if I wasnt any help :'(

Frankly, what I'd to is wrap up the roots with a bunch of moist sphagnum and put the whole thing in some container (anything will do) and then buy a container thats of suitable size. I'm pretty sure that the current pitchers wouldn't re-orient themselves. New pitchers would probably be less slanted, however.

If at all possible I'd go for the "getting a suitable pot" method. You can always just use some tupperware or a large yogurt container or something,

Yeah I was talking to Clint on AIM and he recommended the same thing, I'm running to the store to get like.. a planter or something since I need something kinda long and not so deep.

Eh, don't worry about it being deeper than it needs to be (within reason of course.) There's a lot of pots that should be able to accomodate this plant pretty snugly. Good luck, and nice plant! :)

I'm back from the store! My new heli is in its new home...

helipotted1.jpg

helipottedwhole.jpg

It's nice and chilly in my room. The humidity is the only thing I'm worried about.. but I could probably get a cover to fit on it.

Oh and all the damage to the pitchers was NOT done by me.. it happened in shipping and I kinda expected that it would.. but really I'm impressed by the way they look. I can't wait for it to get a new pitcher that won't have holes in it.. so that I can feed it of course!

Wow. That's quite a long pot.

Yeah the rhizome stretches all the way to the right side... It works though!

I didn't put it too deep though did I?

Also.. how important is humidity with helis?

As long as the growing tip is at the surface. Dang, that's huge!!!! We need more sources that have those!!!!! My largest heli is like 1/100 that size!!!!!!!!!!

Im hoping your source had 12 of them, if so I have one just like it on the way :boogie:

their natural enviroment has an annual rainfall of 160" IIRC

most refs will tell ya.....cool, top water frequently but drain very well (no tray) and very bright

Butch

Well my container is NOT drained, but the roots are so far above the bottom of the tray that if there is water resting at the bottom, it should not hurt.

I know that they like to be cool, I was told by someone that you should just grow em like a darlingtonia except with less water.. that's mostly why I decided to get one since my darlingtonia seems to LOVE my grow shelf.

Av8tor1, I am forever in debt to you for recommending those bulbs. They are just AWESOME.. I have a P. 'Aphrodite' that is NEON pink because of them!

i am still new to helis but the no drain part would worry me, but I guess as long as you can monitor any water build up

in Adrain Slack's classic book he suggest misting them every time you look or walk by them. I don't do that... but I do mist a couple times a day and make sure the pitchers always have some water in them

mine stay around 40-60%RH with spikes up into the 80% range after a misting

and yw on the bulbs, your heli will love them as well :)

my newest H. Tequila pitcher
h_tequila3.jpg

Av

Nice heli. I think that gravity and light will fix any root or rhizome problem.

I'm not sure that problem was really anything abnormal... I think the rhizome is just naturally HUGE... though I don't know why. It has been solved... with the massive pot, lol.

chrono,

mine arrived today, almost a duplicate of yours... my mailman hates me I think, I got home around 3:00pm to find mine (box) in a plastic shopping bag hanging from my mailbox next to the road, it had been baking in the sun for about 4 hours (90+ here), it definitely got hot

I immediatly soaked her in some cool water with supertrive and trichoderma....

new_heli.jpg

ugh, I hope it lives... at least its a heterodoxa x minor

Av

Wow! I had to go to the post office and pick it up.. they never seem to leave stuff at my door anymore. It's better that way though.

It doesn't look so bad.. then again, I'm no heli expert...

Good luck... I hope it hangs in there for ya!

Doesn't look bad at all. ;)
I envy you....both.

I wish you luck in your quest for a cheap heli... Remember, eBay is your friend.

It's Alive! It's Alive!

itsalive.jpg

must be one tough hybrid :)

update, all is well... she even has a few children beginning to pop up here and there

heliupdate.jpg

but not near the performer the H. tequila is (which is my favorite Heli so far)

tequilaupdate.jpg

Av

Back