Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watering your Cephs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watering your Cephs?

Yesterday I got my birthday present from a friend, an itsy bitsy baby Ceph. He knew I wanted one but was too scared to try an expensive, mature plant, so mine is about quarter-sized. I have done a lot of research on how to care for them, but the one thing I am still unsure about is watering. Everyone seems to have a different method, so I'm curious what everyone here does for theirs? Do you water overhead, and let the pot sit in any remainder; occasionally sit the plant in standing water; tray method; etc? I would love to hear any methods and what kind of success you've seen with them. Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let the soil get a little bit damp by watering over head, then letting the remainder flood into the plate, then once I feel the top of the soil is dry I water again. Seems to work well for me so far.

Of course, it's best not to listen to me.
    - NeciFiX

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no ceph expert....as I just started as well...but I think it also depends on the media being used. I use pure LFS and I think there is a lot of live LFS in mine. I water once in 3 days. I use both top and tray watering. I first wet the top moss nicely to wetness (more than just damp). Then pour little by little in the tray, watch it seep into the moss. Then basically, I pour a whole lot so that there is like a cm of water level in the tray. and then thats it....I don't water till like 3 days later. It also has to do with size of plant. I know av8tor was saying that if the plant is big...u shouldn't top water at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in a tray of water. Once it's all gone, leave it for 3 or 4 days and then refill.

Mine's in a tray of water permanently, but some people advocate letting the tray dry out before waterings.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the plant gets more mature you will want to stay away from watering overhead, as horror stories yield crown rot from water that gets trapped on the plant (or just be very careful and intentional about where the water goes).

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Keep in a tray of water. Once it's all gone, leave it for 3 or 4 days and then refill.
    That's what I do.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julie you have a nice friend.
    Do you visit them often? Honolulu, HI would be a great place to visit.

Now I understand the different shipping address. LOL
    Glad the plant made it there ok.

Many people have different was of watering that work for them. I can tell you my way, which may or may not work for you as there are many varialbes which can come into play.

I do not use the tray method for my cephs. They are potted in pots which have a small saucer attached to the bottom of the pot. I water twice a week and dump any excess water that may collect in the saucer.
    I have also heard of stories about crown rot, but may also depend on how humid an environment you grow them in. I do not grow mine in a very humid environment, and I top water. When I do it gets all over the crowns of the plant. There is no other way around it for my cephs. Here's a picture and you can see why......

This is the mother plant of your little one.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man!!! how the hell can u grow all ur plants liek that?? lol! its insane. .. BTW...hold old is that ??

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to add even more contrast, I keep mine in a tall, plastic drinking cup and water 2-3 times a week, from above, but from the sides, so that I don't get any water on the crown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast