Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does S. Purpurea survive total freezing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedersonplants View Post
    Wow. It doesn't sound like these would survive in a container bog garden at all. i have no garage to move it to and no way to protect it from continuous freeze/thaw cycles.

I do believe I'll stay with the refrigerator technique.

Thanks everyone for your input.
    That's how I do it, the fridge!

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea ranges far north of Lansing, MI as you can see from this map http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/91/11/1930/F1

If the container is big enough protect them from wind and the purpurea should be ok.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I tote my poratble minibogs to attic for the winter. I have really good success with that approach. It's putting them back outside, in the spring that takes its toll on them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have an area where you can dig a hole large enough to fit the container, you should be able to overwinter them outside. Tell us more about the container and your land situation and maybe someone will have an idea that can help you keep your fridge free of CPs next winter.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a townehouse. The hole would have to be dug in the corner where the brick townehouse wall meets the cement porch. I am not even sure I could dig it deep enough because we have so much hardpan clay soil right under a foot or less of top soil.

The foam chest is one from Omaha Steaks ( they send their meet with a huge chunk of dry ice in these chests with thicker walls than the ice chests you can buy.

This area is on the north west side of my front porch. There are NO other protected options.

Now if I owned this townehouse with a piece of land around it, I would just construct a cold frame and a nice greenhouse for those that want a warmer winter. I just get laughed at when I tell the property manager I want a greenhouse.

This is a townehouse coop. Have been here for 21 years this September. Moved in when my son was 4 1/2 years old. He now owns the one he was raised in.

My one bedroom, no basement, monthly charges just went from $344/month to $354/month thanks to everything going up. I quit looking for anything cheaper that was one one floor. I couldn't even rent an apartment over someone's garage for this price. The two bedrooms went to $405; they have two floors and a complete basement.

Thanks to my housing costs (includes everything EXCEPT electricity, telephone service and, of course, internet service. LOL), I can afford my gardening habit even though I live on a combination of retirement plus disability from my last full-time job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedersonplants View Post
    Hi:

I am looking to buy a few S. purpurea. Do these plants survive total freezing in a situation where the bog might be frozen for a while, then unfreeze, then refreeze all winter long?

If so, how do they survive or do they have some sort of antifreeze?
    Even the hardiest type of purps can only survive one freeze. Ours was doin great until the second...

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine grow in above ground pots. They stay outside unless the temps go down to 20 or less. Then they go into an unheated garage. Northern purps would be the only ones, IMHO, that would be a sure bet to survive a strong freeze. They grow in some of the worst winter areas, such as the great lakes, Canada, and the like. Temps can get below zero and stay there a long time. The upper few inches of the soil will freeze hard. That would freeze the growing points and rhizomes. As a former Clevelander, I like to think I know a little something about winter.
    We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

1-20-13 = The End of an Error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the hardiest type of purps can only survive one freeze. Ours was doin great until the second...
    That would mean the entire population of purpureas in the wild would be wiped out since every winter sees periods of deep freeze and then thawing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast