Thread: Does S. Purpurea survive total freezing

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does S. Purpurea survive total freezing

Hi:

I am looking to buy a few S. purpurea. Do these plants survive total freezing in a situation where the bog might be frozen for a while, then unfreeze, then refreeze all winter long?

If so, how do they survive or do they have some sort of antifreeze?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are two main types of the plant, ssp venosa and ssp purpurea. venosa is the southern variety and so it may have more of a dislike. However, purpurea grows all the way to Canada as I understand it, so Lansing should be no problem
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa is NOT good for our climate.

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea is good for us! It can survive down to -40F.
    - NeciFiX

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, S.purpurea ssp. purpurea is dead hardy, you will have no problems in Michigan as the plants range extends quite a bit further north from there. The cold tolerance of Sarrs seem to be vastly under-rate, most likely on the side of caution, but from necessity I have overwintered everything but S.purpurea venosa and S.psittacina here in SW Ontario, Canada with no problems. Hybrids seem even tougher

A few folks did an experiment with "hobo loggers", temperatue loggers basically, submerged in our outdoor set-ups this past winter. Despite being the most southern location, I seem to have had the lowest core temp, it went for roughly 2 months at -4.5 C and everything survived in excellent condition. I got caught "mulch-less" by the sudden temperatue down-turn in mid January, but the copious snowfall made good insulation. Another person who lives in a MUCH colder area got the mulch in on time, and despite temps below -30 at times his setup stayed at - 0.5 C the whole winter. Hope this helps a bit, we found the data pretty fascinating
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my purp purp is frozen solid almost all winter here in Maine.
    I wish all my temperate plants could handle that.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God I am not in zone 5 I am in zone 7 so i think my bog garden will be good in the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my Sarrs are frozen solid during the winter. But I pile lots of oak leaves over them so that once they've frozen, they stay frozen until they thaw in the spring. I think repeated freezing and thawing is more damaging than sustained cold. But I'm talking about Zone 6 cold. I also put a lean-to over the leaf pile so snow doesn't pile up on it. As snow melts on a warm day, the water percolates down and refreezes, where it can create a suffocating layer of leafy ice. I lost some plants that way a few years ago. I don't think I actually lost any Sarrs, but they all suffered badly.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. It doesn't sound like these would survive in a container bog garden at all. i have no garage to move it to and no way to protect it from continuous freeze/thaw cycles.

I do believe I'll stay with the refrigerator technique.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast