Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My poor Hummer's Giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My poor Hummer's Giant

Hey everyone. I come bearing some unsettling news about my Ceph. Some of the new growth (promising-looking new pitchers) have started to brown and die. Is this a sign of the infamous S.C.D.S.? I don't THINK I've been over-watering this plant and it has been very hot lately. Perhaps it's just in shock from me moving it into a different terrarium?

I know these details are sparse, but I don't have the energy at this moment in time to relay it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If not the SCDS, it could have a fungal infection. I think this can happen in hot weather and low air circulation. I used to have 3 different plants inside in a terrarium under lights. All 3 were great, then started to decline. And i believe it was in the summer.

They didn't totally die (shock!) and have now started to regrow. They are all outside now in a covered shelter. I think they really like fresh air, especially when it is hot!
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it some circulation and a bit cooler. Let the poor thing dry down and keep on the drier side till the growth stops turning brown. Pick off all the dried up brown leaves and nurse it back to health. My regular ceph. did this last year and now has come back from essentially nothing. There are roots down there ! Keep em goin' and you'll be fine.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's shock.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it doesn't, but even if your ceph looks like its dead, don't give up. I have heard of people who thought their plant died but weeks later found new growth coming up. So hang in there. It can recover.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if there are any winter leaves, the teardrop shape ones, I would attempt sprouting them in a different pot. They sprout well in live LFS.