What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia containers

I have my Sarracenia pots sitting in "Rubbermaid" plastic storage containers to keep the water level right. After a few weeks of exposure to the sun the containers get very brittle and break very easily.

What does everyone else use for this purpose? Any ideas what I might switch to so I don't lose so many containers?

I keep Sarracenia pots in trays I bought at a nursery. The trays are rectangular, maybe 6" x 30" and ~1" deep. Since the plastic is intended for outdoor use, they've lasted 5(?) years and are going strong.

You could try spray painting the outsides of the trays with white paint for plastic. This will block most of the UV which is what destroys the plasticizer in the material.

Garden centres and DIY stores often have large black trays specifically for sitting plants in.

Any of the plastic outdoor planters would be fine. And they are pretty inexpensive.

litter boxes, while not terrible subtle or attractive, work quite well-especially for higher pots since they hold a several inches of rainwater.

I have my Sarracenias in plastic buckets, minibog style. But you can also put pots in cat trays with water.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Not a Number - you went the extra mile with the research. Many thanks!

I use plain old water trays designed for plants to sit in them. Works perfectly. You could also throw them into a nice big bucket and add water and have a bog... :) No more trays or cat litter boxes needed

Back