Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia Hybrid (Newbie)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be an idea actually, i'll keep an eye on it and if it starts looking unstable i'll get it something to sit in for a while till i'm ready to repot.

You're right, the hoods DO look like Swaniana only with a more prominant dip in the center. Strange. It's likely to be a hybrid of so many different things that identifying it's parents will be near impossible. It's got red from somewhere, Swaniana type hoods and features of a couple of others breeds too. Ahh the wonders of Hybrids. Still, it's pretty.

thank you so much for your help! When it hits spring i'll be full of questions about how to repot/seperate etc and full of fear of killing the poor thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best just to label it "Unknown purpurea hybrid". looks like a very nice plant and your lucky to be able to get that kind of color on a windowsill!!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's looking good to me. It's definitely getting enough sun if it's that red.

You can leave it in the pot if you wish, but it might be even happier in a larger pot (and look a bit better). You can repot into an Irish moss peat / perlite mix and split it with scissors if you wish. Maybe put the spares on ebay?

It's not a catesbaei - it's a Dutch tissue cultured hybrid which is very common in garden centres. It definitely has purpurea and minor in it, but possibly something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think actually I may have found a likely suspect for it's breed. Sarracenia x catesbaei x alata, has the very distinctive wide hoods with that dip... hmmmm.
    http://www.karnivores.com/img/catesbylata.jpg

But the red colouration...

thank you Alex! it is a remarkably red plant, i'm not sure what I did to achieve that. A shere fluke I assure you, but not bad for a first time. The side against the window is so so vivid. Fingers crossed it continues to thrive with my minimal attention, i'm so scared to do anything to it for fear of damaging it. (i'm a wuss, I really am)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That looks very nice! I'm surprised. Most peoples' first CP is a Wal-Mart Venus Flytrap. I'm impressed! You have a green thumb to be sure, you should grow more... addicting little hobby.

Yeah. Definitely something with purpurea in it. It's impossible to tell I'm sure... Sarracenia don't have huge roots so repotting may not be an issue even though the plant looks like it dwarfs the pot and might just burst loose at any moment. Repotting does aerate the soil though. I would also say repot in early spring. It looks like a near mature plant. And even though you're allergic to flowers it might just do that! They are beautiful though. Don't worry, they lose their petals in 10 days or so... or whenever they are successfully pollinated.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's odd really. It's about a year old.. maybe a year and a half.. least that's how long i've had it. Who knows how old it was when my man bought it. I'm tempted to buy another as a test subject and attempt repotting that before tackling Bitey here (yes it's named Bitey.. heheh, our bonsai is Bubbles) just to see how it goes.

Yeah, the flowers do look pretty, i'd love to see what colour they'll be. Red or yellow? oooo

I'm sure when it does flower i'll have a heck of a lot of questions about what to do with it. I honestly am a complete noob when it comes to CP care. I've put a jug outside to catch rainwater as i've read all over the place that tap water is bad (ooops) so we'll see how that goes. Anyone else got any tips? dos and donts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it go through dormancy?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well whatever you are doing I would keep on doing as it seems to be right

Don't fertilize the plant.

Don't skip dormancy.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast