Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia Hybrid (Newbie)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I stimulate domancy and when should I do that? Our house is always a constant temperature so I don't think it gets the chance to realise "hey winter!". Any suggestions? What sort of conditions does it need to go into dormancy and how do you care for it while it's dormant? when should this happen.. etc etc.

cheers guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have a greenhouse, I'd place it outside in early November. Put it somewhere sheltered, out of the wind, and it should slow down growth. Then bring it back inside in late February. Consider wrapping the pot in bubble wrap.

They can take being frozen, but a larger pot would just insulate the roots a little more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I don't know if we have anywhere appropriate. We have the worlds smallest garden here honestly, heh. No porch either alas. hmmm... only place I can think of is the coal bunker but that doesn't get any light to it.
    Bubble wrap? er.. ok... i'll give it a go.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking plant. I would repot it, particularly in the winter, when it is dormant. You could do it now, but I would coax the entire contents as one unit and place in a deeper and wider pot. I would also have it in a container that is deeper and can hold more depth of water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window Sill purp hybrid

You have a beautiful plant and you have done very well with it. It is obvious a tissue cultured plant and it has been my experience that they benefit from being divided. If it is not divided, it will become unhappy and start to go down hill. Bumping it up will work for a while. Besides if you are getting into CPs, it will give you something to trade with. Let me know, I would trade for a piece of that!
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man that plant is fantastic! Nice job!!! Gorgeous!
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww thanks guys. I'll be looking at repotting it into a larger vessel as soon as I can get to a garden center. So, Spagnum (sp?) peat, sand and maybe perlite? what's you're top tip for potting mix?

I do have a furthur question though, it came up the other night as my man and I were sitting chatting about crap. Come December we're off to NZ for a good 3 weeks. What can we do to minimise the damage done to the plant? I have serious doubts any of them will survive our abscence but alas, we have noone I trust to take care of them or actually you know.. be in my house while i'm not there.
    Anyone have any suggestions? It'll be late november we leave, arriving back late december, just before christmas in fact.
    Can I do anything? It'll be indoors and hopefully dormant (we'll see how that goes -_-) but i'm concerned about rot and drying out.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well actually a bit of negligence over the winter would be good for them. Do you have a garage with a window or someplace that gets cool? They'll be going into dormancy anyway and want less light, lower temps, and less water. Maybe a friend can come over and give them a little water every so often; or I suppose you could try and give them a high water level at the beginning and then it will lower and not be high the entire time.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast