Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my sarracenia dead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my sarracenia dead?

First off, I'm sorry about the pitcure quality! It was the best that I could do. All of those stumps you see are pitchers which I've had to cut off of the plant. I received it with one 2-inch pitcher, which wasn't really clinging to life too well, and a large number of brown, dry, dead pitchers. A few days ago, it sent up one little green shoot, but as of today, that's started to go brown as well. It's well-watered and gets about 10 hours of sun a day, 7 hours direct. I've heard that purpurea are really hardy, so should I let it go for another few days, just to see if it can recover? Is there any way that I can tell if the main plant is dead? Thanks in advance!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about a Sarracenia but.......for my venus flytrap (that unfortunetly died) I used an easy way to see if it was dead. I first pulled up on it a bit and it came right out of the ground. Then I checked the roots and they looked dried up and dead. But not sure if that works the same on that kind of plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it dosent look like it will make it. when they refer to S. purpurea as hardy...they mean cold hardy. cut off a small piece of the rhizome. if it is brown and mushy. you have a dead plant.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah dont cut the rhizome to much because if it is "alive" or "clinging to life" you will kill it.
    Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated.
    ~MLK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a good look at the rhizome tomorrow. If it's not dead, what can I do to bring it back to good health?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carefully uproot the plant. spray with a good fungucide and insecticide then repot into fresh media. it look like how i lost several of my sarrs....rhizome rot.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to cut the rhizome, just a few gentle squeezes should do. It should be firm like a raw potato.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I went and felt the rhizome of the plant in question, and it's still nice and firm, although the one shoot that'd popped up is most def. dead now. I guess I'll just keep watering it and hoping that the sun will come out soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast