Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus utopia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's nuts! Isn't Carniflora the European company that distributes Cephs to European hardware stores? U.S. CP distributors should take notice!

I remember reading about this company on the UK CP forum. People would always talk about walking into a local store and picking up a Ceph in a domed pot like it was a D. capensis or something just as common. Pretty crazy!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its insane man! damn! I would love to get one of those pots. But, if I was there in person, I would probably buy like 3 or 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LLeopardGGecko View Post
    That's nuts! Isn't Carniflora the European company that distributes Cephs to European hardware stores? U.S. CP distributors should take notice!

I remember reading about this company on the UK CP forum. People would always talk about walking into a local store and picking up a Ceph in a domed pot like it was a D. capensis or something just as common. Pretty crazy!
    Jep that's Carniflora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why Cephs aren't offered here in the states in places like Home Depot or Lowe's. They aren't any harder to take care of than Nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might have some disagreement there. Cephs are notorious for being a bit finicky. They're a bit fragile when it comes to packing and shipping which is another negative in the pot plant world.
    They are also very slow to mature, even from TC. I would venture to say a good 2-3 year from TC before they would be saleable.
    Before i started in CP's i didn't even know that Cephs existed, so awareness would be another issue!
    Peter
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find Nepenthes harder than Cephalotus, for a time I also found D. capensis harder than Cephalotus =/ (when I had artificial lights, the Cephalotus was doing fine under them but the D. capensis wasn't making any dew, what are the odds of that haha?) I just have luck with Cephalotus, they are also my favorite CP.

Anyways...
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why Cephs aren't offered here in the states in places like Home Depot or Lowe's. They aren't any harder to take care of than Nepenthes.
    I think you might have some disagreement there. Cephs are notorious for being a bit finicky.
    I find Nepenthes harder than Cephalotus, for a time I also found D. capensis harder than Cephalotus
    obviously the answer lies on opinion and personal experience. my ceph just opened its first mature pitcher. over the last 3 weeks or so the plant has REALLY slowed down. for me it grows with everything i have except for plants that need dormancy so is no harder/easier than any plant i have indoors. next year i plan on putting a cutting outside to see how long it would last. wish me luck

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pingman View Post
    I think you might have some disagreement there. Cephs are notorious for being a bit finicky. They're a bit fragile when it comes to packing and shipping which is another negative in the pot plant world.
    They are also very slow to mature, even from TC. I would venture to say a good 2-3 year from TC before they would be saleable.
    Before i started in CP's i didn't even know that Cephs existed, so awareness would be another issue!
    Peter
    You make some valid points. For whatever reason I've never had any problems growing Cephs. On the other hand, I tend to have endless problems when it comes to growing Nepenthes. So yeah, I'm sure it all depends on personal experience.

But even then, especially when Cephs are considered to be slow-growing, not well-known, and finicky, I wonder why this particular company has decided that they're worth selling on the mass market. I also wonder if they're more expensive than your typical sundew or pitcher plant in a hardware store.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast