Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.minor...major problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S.minor...major problem

Anyone notice how S.minor is a very difficult species to grow? Or is it just me? I really don't understand it. It is the species with the southernmost range. And therefore closest to my geographic location. You'd think that would make it the easiest for me to grow. The only minor I can grow with success is Okeefenokee Giant. I grow my Sarracenia in a mixture of peat and perlite. I grow them fairly dry (which in theory should be to the delight of minor). Anyone have similar observations or advice?

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow just like all my other Sarrs. I've had relatively few problems but I do seem to be opposite with the variations. I lost my 2 yr old Okee I've never really heard to keep them dryer than the others. I've heard that more for the Oreophilla than the Minor. What's the lighting you've got?
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minor sometimes grows in drier areas thank most sarracenia (at least here in Florida). I grow all my sarracenia in full, blazing sun all day long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine pretty wet lol just like other CPs... my okefenokee I just water and leave alone. Just like all my Sarras.
    - NeciFiX

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had no such problems...

same fity/fity peat perlite mix i always use...in two years it went from a seedling to a flowering adult! it is by far my fastest growing sarracenia!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obregon...mi amigo. I don't understand what is going on. This is very perplexing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mfh
    I have not tried to grow it for a while, but had similar problems. I actually grew it from seed, and the seedling thrived and grew great under light, but quickly declined when they went out with my other Sarrs. I also noticed you don't see S. minor for sale as often as often as the others, and often the nurseries are sold out of it. It is an attractive species, and that makes me think it must be a little more difficult to grow commercially than some of the others. I also have a bit of troulbe with rubras under my growing conditions, but everything else thrives (inlcuding a hybrid of rubra/minor, and a few other hybrids with one of the other in their parentage). Interesting observation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops nevermind
    Last edited by RyanG; 08-03-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I got this species confused with another species.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast