Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. flava in the wild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S. flava in the wild

I have known about these S. flava for a couple of years, but I'm just now getting some decent pictures and wanted to share them. These plants are located in what I think is a utility easement along a road in Colquitt County, GA very near the city limits of Moultrie. These are the only CPs I've ever seen in the wild, so I try to get by and see them whenever we visit my wife's family in Moultrie, three hours south of where I live. I am worried that one day the utility company is going to come along with herbicide to clear the easement and these plants will be gone forever.

Group 1

Group 2

Group 3

All 3 groups

Utility easement where the plants are located

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice and it's cool to have discovered something like that. Given how open that land is, it looks like the utility sprays somewhat regularly, certainly within the life of those Sarrs.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great!

Were there any seedpods? It would be worthwhile to go back in October and open the pods. Scatter 3/4 of the seed and keep hold of the rest. That way, if they do go we've got genetic material for repopulating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not much for CP Habitat but I wouldn't expect them to grow around a small pine tree haha. Very nice.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexis - I like the idea of spreading the seed at the site and keeping some to grow in my collection. I haven't been close to the plants because I'll have to go over a fence, but I can make out some seed pods zooming in on the original pictures. Sowing and collecting seed will definitely be worth going over the fence. I'll have to arrange to get back down to the site in October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't hurt to cut out the pine too. Well, it would hurt the pine, but this is a CP forum after all and the pine population seems secure.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, herenorthere. I believe I will take out that pine next time I'm in the area. Maybe that will help the Sarrs growing in that spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's the utility company's property, sneaking over to get some seed is one thing, but cutting the pine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast