What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phyllodia

Hey, one of my S flavas is producing phyllodia. All of the others are not. Is there something wrong? I ask cause I thought they only grow phyllodia during dormancy.
My conditions are at least 6 hours of sun, a mix of sand and peat, and the soil is usually wet. Sorry if I couldnt be precise on anything.

sounds fine to me...it's not JUST a dormancy thing. mine are currently making them too...

you'll get good pitchers again in spring '08!

Flavas produce phyllodia from about July - October.

It may be the middle of summer, but the photoperiod has been declining since the 4th week of June.

Evidentally, I've read that during the heat of the summer, they make them. Although why that would help them, I don't know.

-Ben

Phyllodia are probably more efficient for photosynthesis, since pitchers are designed for capturing insects, not sunlight. So S. flavas might grow one crop of large pitchers that will collect all the nutrients they'll need for the year and then focus their attention on photosynthesis. I don't understand why S. leucophyllas grow such spectacular pitchers in the fall, when insect populations seem to be declining. But it's been a long time since I lived in the South and maybe the insect populations don't drop as much as I think.

There are certain insect populations that are at their peak in Sept/Oct I think.

Back