What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worth the Risk?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I stepped out on the deck a few minutes ago and saw this moth flirting with disaster. Took a few pics.

WTR_CP1.jpg

WTR_CP2.jpg

WTR_CP3.jpg

Very nice picture taking!
Did it survive?
JMatt

Mighty fine plant :p . Moths are the best cause they don't seem to chew their way out of the pitchers like wasps. Excellent pics

That second picture is worthy of a prize. I just LOVE it. You've very talented. I didn't even think about the peril the moth was in! Hehe! (Though now I'm also wondering if he got a treat, or got in over his head... lol) :)

Mighty fine plant :p . Moths are the best cause they don't seem to chew their way out of the pitchers like wasps. Excellent pics

All my S. minor 'okee giant', S. leucophylla 'hot pink' and especially S. flava var. rugelii have just been slaughtered by wasps, take one look and the pitchers are torn up! My S. x catesbaei seems to like moths.

Bravo! Nice photography by the way.

Thanks for the comments.

I made it sound more dangerous then it actually was for the moth. The moth has nothing to worry about.
What I do is let my Sarrs pitcher in early spring and eat all that they want. Then later in the year when most Sarrs are making the nicest pitches, I place cotton in them so that the pitchers stay nice. Or only let them open a few days to catch a few bugs before placing the cotton in the tube. Otherwise when the Sarrs fill the tube, the tops always rot and look ugly, or wasps chew threw them.

The plant is Sarracenia alata - Harrison County, MS - Black/Red - #9501

Elgecko -

The only thing I would like to make sure you're aware of is pesky little critter called the Exyra Moth. These are moths that will lay their eggs inside Sarracenia pitchers. Then once the eggs hatch out, the larvae cannibalize each other until only one larva remains per pitcher. However, each larva then spins a silk web to cover the opening of the pitcher, and then begins to eat the inside tender layers of the pitcher!

Eventually they chew an escape hole in the pitcher tube, pupate into an adult moth, and them crawl out of the hole they made to begin the next generation.

You may want to look up Exyra Moths just to make sure these aren't your potential food choice; they're liable to turn the tables on your prized plants!

Good growing,

Mike

Great pics! I've always admired your talent. That second pic is awesome! :hail:

Great photography and learning tool!

Mmmn~ The second picture is excellent! love it.
and thanks to your grow info. thanks

Back