What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to break out the big guns...

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
I didn't want to do this but I have no other choice... *dun dun dun* My insect problem with my Sarracenia catesbaei plants has not gotten any better. I believe I have some sort of caterpiller problem but can never find them... either that or slugs and snails judging by the kind of damage. I really don't want to have to use insecticide but... I think it's time...

I have read that Ortho Systemic is ok to use but I am unsure if I should go by the instructions on the bottle or dilute it. Could I ask for a little help? :-(

Thanks a bunch,
-J.P.

Mix as per the instructions. If your worried about how the plants will react to it, then test it an a couple of spare plants before using it on the rest of them. Diluting the insectide might make it too weak to kill the pest insects.

i think your problem is caterpillars....they live in the bottoms of the pitchers, make a web above them, and the newer bugs just pile up on top of them. cut open an affected pitcher. ortho is a great killer. use it as the manufacturers instructions(which is like 1-2 tsp/gallon).

Alex

Today, I reused my Ortho Systemic on all my temperate CPs except my Drosera in order to fight off mealy bugs. As previously stated, use as directed which will be 1-3 tablespoons of insecticide per gallon of water (depending on your pest). Make sure to read the booklet on the product.

I used Ortho’s systemic on my Purp a couple months ago, and it showed no ill effects. The thing smells horrible, so watch out. Oh, and wash your hands afterwards. :)

Good luck.

Be sure to repeat your treatments for mealybugs. It took me at least six weeks to get rid of them (I hope). I sprayed once a week for 4 weeks, thoght they were gone but at the two week mark after the last spraying found a couple more bugs. I hit the plants again and haven't seen any since. And sprayed again 4 weeks later to be sure.

I don't know if Orthene will do anything about slugs or snails. Read the product folder.

Be sure to repeat your treatments for mealybugs. It took me at least six weeks to get rid of them (I hope). I sprayed once a week for 4 weeks, thoght they were gone but at the two week mark after the last spraying found a couple more bugs. I hit the plants again and haven't seen any since. And sprayed again 4 weeks later to be sure.

Will do! Thanks again!

If caterpillars are the problem, dipel dust is specifically for leaf eating caterpillars. And once again, read and follow the directions. The good thing about dipel dust is that as soon as the caterpillar ingests it, they don't want to eat anymore! I have used it with no ill effects.

Wow thanks guys!

And Glider, you hit it right on the head... I go around pinching the bottoms of my pitchers until I feel a "pop". It's not the pitcher that is popping but caterpillars...

I have various VFTs a D. binata and a D. capensis out in this little bog garden of mine along with the S. catesbaei. These should be fine should I decide to use either Ortho or dipel dust (which I will now go research) right?

Thanks a ton guys,
-J.P.

Ortho is great but make sure not too get any on yourself or inhale any.

Sorry to bring up my old thread again, : / but the good news is that the damage has not continued.

Upon further research however I've heard some say Ortho isn't good to spray on Drosera. But if the pests come back could I just shield the Drosera with an old soda bottle and spray the Sarracenia? And just a reminder that they are all in one bog garden. So the insecticide could go into the soil. I'll leave you all alone on this topic now haha.

Thanks a bunch everyone,
-J.P.

Back