What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent Cephalotus Price Explosion

I don't understand it either, here in Europe I find Ceph's rather common, especially now that the dutch nurseries seem to mass produce them, they could get rich with selling Cephs at Ebay...

These plants take forever to grow, so even at these prices, I don't think anybody is gonna get rich selling them. But, imagine buying that one on ebay, ripping it apart and take leaf cuttings of every leaf! You'd have a ton of baby cephs, though it'll be years before you can sell them :rolleyes:

I swear, between N. hamata and C. follicularis, there is a TON of money to be made by mass producing these plants here in the states. I think the average, non-CP growing person would flip if they saw a 1-2 year old N. hamata in the store, which would be followed by a quick purchase. Perhaps I'm just eager to see the price on these plants finally start to come down.

Larry,
There is a bunch of growth points on the plant. Should have mentioned that on ebay to try to make people crazy. LOL
Back on 05-13-2006 I did split the plant which is currently on ebay apart. It was fuller then it is now.
It does seem to be pretty fast growing for a Ceph. Faster then my Ceph 'HG'. The pic earlier in this thread that shows the one in the brown pot. That is one of the cuttings from when I split the plant on 05-13-2006. Almost bigger then the mother plant.
I think the extra room in the pot helps a bunch. I'll have to try to pay attention to that when I place a tiny Ceph 'HG' in the 12 3/4" pot I'm going to try maybe next year.

Here's the old thread with pics of the splitting.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103406

I swear, between N. hamata and C. follicularis, there is a TON of money to be made by mass producing these plants here in the states. I think the average, non-CP growing person would flip if they saw a 1-2 year old N. hamata in the store, which would be followed by a quick purchase. Perhaps I'm just eager to see the price on these plants finally start to come down.

Amen to that. I like a nice ventricosa or Judy Hindle as much as the next person, but maybe it is time to add some species to the wholesale TC production?

A side note on the ebay hamata: I'd think that you could fetch an even higher price than normal since I'm guessing that it lives in the magic window and is already acclimated to being in a normal room. I just hope that it goes to a good home.

Hey Larry, i bet you the winning bidder (I'm referring to the recent one that sold for $600!) is doing exactly that!! He can make his money back (and more) in probably just a year!

Peter.

$600 is just ridiculous, more money than sense. I have no problems getting the cuttings to root, but the plantlets stay tiny for years. I've been growing them outdoors, so they're probably not as happy as can be.

If he's happy, and the seller's happy (how could he not be?) then it's not ridiculous at all. A CLUMP of Hummer's Giant is not a thing you can easily buy.

I tried looking under completed auctions, but it's too old. However, if you view completed auctions for Cephalotus, the last one on the page sold for 210 dollars (plus shipping :) ) and had 31 bids.

To make $600 off of one plant is unbelievable. I would have loved to see the clump that went for that price, but in my head I'm thinking I'd have a hard time giving up what I'm assuming was a very mature Cephalotus, even for that price.

I guess I'd have to be in that situation to know for sure!

another big auction....

$300 auction on saturday. wow.

Ya I know :-( It got way too expensive for my taste. That Hamata went for 167.50 too, and I thought my bid was already overboard. Oh well, hopefully Hamatas make a re-appearance on the market.

So $300 and $167 for the Cephalotus and the N. hamata respectively? Wow! Good for you Elgecko!

I'm not going to complain.

$600!!! on a full grown ceph!!! All I can say is WOW! I don't even think my collection is worth 600 dollars yet...that's insane...

Dang, maybe I should start doing cuttings again, them prices are ridiculous!

Here's one of mine.

cephalotus2_out_for_some_sun.jpg

I know at least one of the sellers getting those prices for his cephs. He is in no short supply of them - he just has the magic touch with those plants.

And what's so rediculous about $600? If someone is willing to pay that much, it's up to them.

Haha, my 2-3 year old Ceph, not sure how old but it was classified as "baby" (it's getting close to 2 inch pitchers! A little more to go! I think 5 year is like "adulthood" or something?) made it's biggest pitcher so far last month, then made one about the same size, and then the size sharply fell on one of the two growth points, the other I haven't seen another pitcher yet so I can't really say anything about that, but, it IS making non carnivorous leaves now, when I had it under fluorescents it made one and when it was in the Spring photoperiod it did too, so this is like Spring again for it. I hope I can over winter it in that windowsill, in the twilight zone, the window is open but there is glass over the screen, it'd probably be only 10-15F cooler but with the shorter photoperiod my Ceph should go into a light, good dormancy :). I wonder if they receive more or less watering in dormancy... hm...

ANYWAYS on topic, I haven't checked the prices yet, let me do so.

Eh, no Cephs up, at least for the US... the others are Australia only with a big minimum order. Well, I tried.

I paid $79.00 for mine awhile back on E-bay. I thought that was outrageous, but I really wanted one so WTH. $600 is astronomical.

Back