Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I be worried about this?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...hope it grows enough for one day when it can be repotted to a nice 8 inch pot. But, in the meanwhile I have other very important non-CP issues to worry about. But, still, come on' dude....what can u expect from me? ... this is the ONE AND ONLY ceph I have for now...and I want to make sure that I can grow this plant well. Its like I have a few favourite plants that have a special place in my heart. Of course you know the very first in that list...almost everyone who knows me knows it. This is on the same lines.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly is the makeup of the soil mixture? 100% sphag?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah... 100% sphag. As I said...the only reason its in there..is becos the dude uses it as a rooting medium. His cephs all grow in peat + sand. He didnt want to uproot and send as it might stress the very young pplant. (it came through post)

BTW....the sphag is LIVE. the top layer is red...when I dig some from the black dead sphag area..there is green stuff underneath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't claim to be an expert in ceph's by any means, but I can tell you what I would do. I would repot it because sphag is going to hold way too much moisture for far too long. Even when you let the top dry out the bottom is still going to be very damp.

If, as it seems has been suggested, the problem is related to being too damp, the problem is not going to go away as long as it is potted in a medium that is notorious for holding water. Again, if it were me, I would repot into a more suitable medium and let it be stressed and make a longer recovery than trying to work out watering with pure sphag and maybe getting the problem solved, then restressing it with repotting. Just be careful and gentle when repotting and then it will be in perfect conditions to recover.

xvart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.....its a real hard decision considering this is my first and only ceph for now. hmm.... I don't know xvart. What u say is true. The problems I seem to be having all the time is just the issue of media being too wet. BTW...can I use bark in the medium ?? lol!

especially after I hammer this into smaller pieces:

It contains western fir bark. But the pieces are large. I need to hammer them to smaller ones.

Now...basically the idea being: PERLITE + PEAT + BARK + TRICHODERMA POWDER with high conc or bark and perlite rather than the peat. I can't find sand anywhere here locally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mixture of bark, perlite, and peat. I don't have any sand on hand at the moment and don't use any exact porportions; but, heavy on the perlite, light on the peat, and a decent amount of bark for good measure. That bark will work fine, and would be better if you did mash it up some; but not necessary in my opinion.

I am of the belief that plants recover better in optimal conditions; even if it adds a little more stress to the plant. Plants are strong. They may get stressed but stress doesn't mean definitive death. Death usually occurs from prolonged stress and unfavorable conditions.

xvart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well....I guess you have truly given me something to consider. I am thinking its better to give the ceph a big pot as well to have nice even media conditions and start off a fresh with nice trichoderma addition. Hmm..... decisions ..decisions.....soo annoying and kinda scary when dealing with a lone plant in your collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just think - if you repot it now you can put it in the 8 inch pot and you will not have to worry about repotting for a very long time; unless you want to divide it of course!

xvart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12