Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE HEART OF A CEPH: Repot of my small darling

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! it actually counts the smilies as well. So the first post has like 3-4 pics and the second around 10 as well

DUde...I am not sitting here worried.. I am actually sitting here smiling and excited about HALO 3. lol! freakin 9.8 score on gametrailers.com. AMAZING GAME! Too bad I don't have a 360..but thats the first game I will get when I do get it

I'm calm about the ceph npw. its done...there's nothing I can do anyways...but eyah...I was worried when I was writing the post.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, we can't say balls?

It's a plant that doesn't like to be disturbed, but it's not a live bomb dude. You should try some Chamomile tea or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    It's a plant that doesn't like to be disturbed, but it's not a live bomb dude. You should try some Chamomile tea or something.
    AS JLAP noted, Cephs don't like to be disturbed. With my leaf cuttings, I've had a 100% strike rate. However, I've been losing about 1/3 of those that I move from propagation media to their final pots. Once their older, the odds get better but in general, they like to be left alone.

The other recommendation is to listen to what your plants are telling you. You noted in your post that you have 3 now shoots coming out. The plant is happy. It's growing well. It wants to be left alone and put on new growth.

Obviously this is all water over the dam but if you want to improve your growing skills, you need to slow down and listen to your plants...

Good luck.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! well....that was the entire discussion before this. I decided based on the others opinions from here that the media in general is not very good at all. Also, the ceph is root bound. I read from other ceph pros like av8tor that its better to repot it, use some trich and then leave it alone for a long while. Even xvart suggested this. Based on all the issues i have been having so far, with apparent INK spot fungus, early pitcher death and so on, I decided to go for it.

No regrets though. Based on all I have read about the plant, this is a definately better mix and better condition for the plant.

so well, yeah...now it is going to be left alone for sure..atleast for a couple of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i repotted mine with 0 difficulty. the plant didnt even go into shock.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! well....I have a habit of freaking out for the rare plants that i have. I repotted the VFT seedling that was growing with the ceph with the most shocking thoroughness ever. lol! pulled away the sphag....tipping the plant here and there...trying to take part all the moss...then just pushed it into soil of one of my other vft's. lol! See....I don't freak out for all my plants. lol!

well...in either case, I think its ok... I know that normally if plants don't like it...they show signs in just hours. So far it looks exactly as it was before and well....I'll keep u guys posted on the progress.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time you repot it, just use the same media (well, NEW media but same ratio/ingredients I mean) and bury the current pot into a larger pot. Then take it out, gently flip it upside down, tap it and it should come out in one piece. Ease it into the new hole and it should be a perfect fit with no root disturbance.

Do so at your own risk of course. Could end up with media everywhere if you aren't good at it It's the best way to repot Cephalotus, IMO. Since you're using the old media and just adding it to the new media, that's why lots of inorganic material is preferable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i did(similar to clints method) was take the pot its already in(in my case a plastic cup with holes in the bottom) cut out the bottom and cut down the cup lengthwise 4 on opposite sides. take the bottom part off. slide the whole thing into a premade depression in the new pot. and just lift the 4 sides out. viola! now you just pack the soil in and its ready to start another journey!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast