Dear respected CP growers, a new generation of nature lovers,
I did it. I finally did it. I guess its an apt time to say "I had the guts to repot my ceph". I have seen my heart in front of me. Well, half of it...the rest of my heart is in my rajah. I have never been soo nervous before...the only other instance was when I met Rick HIller in Boston Pizza with his family where they showed me my KING. However, I kept it cool...and with a missing heart in my chest, I took out half of my heart in the ceph's crown, glanced it and put it in a new mix.
Enough with the cheap try at poetic impressionism. Here is the run through:
- I went back home, got myself 3 cups of perlite and 1 cup of peat.
- After coming back here, I opened my new bag of Orchid bark. Intererstingly, it was actually damp inside the bag. That worried me if the bark has been wet with REGULAR water at the processing. However, I moved on. I couldn't stop....it was now or never.
- This is it gents: the mix. As you can see.... its insanely airy. I have never made a mix with soo little peat. Its like 45% bark, 40% perlite, 15% peat. [PIC1]
- I then carefully opened the trich box and took 2 spoon TIPS (the rear end) and put it in the bag with the mix.
- Then, water with distilled water.
- MIX MIX MIX . Half way through...AHHH! the hell with the plastic bag, I don't care if this is bacillus, I go in bare handed.
- Well, here is my sweet heart. As you can see...its looking on a great recovery... see the new growth. That is just since 2 days ago. New pitcher buds. It looks like it was finally back on track when I am doing this. [PIC2]
- Well, the most careful unpotting ever. Carefully removed the moss. Then, I come to the heart, I can see the WHITE corm and A woody stem. [PIC3]
- ONE THING is for sure, MY CEPH has A WICKED corm. The corm was soooo freaking healthy. Its insane. However, there was the dead part on the side..from the main plant when i got it. (remember the dead growth point??I burnt the growth tip)
- I tried cutting of the dead part...but I was very very very afraid. So I only cut a small part. there is still more of the dead part. But I didn't remove it. I couldn't do it.
-Then, the other shocking thing.. Contrary of most advice, I wanted to take off as much of the moss as I could. I especially took apart the moss stuck to the roots. MANY OF THE SMALL ROOTS SNAPPED OFF :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
- Well, with the missing heart, I was able to carry on and I put it in the new pot, I carefully filled its sides and carefully let it go, once the new medium JUST SUPPORTED the plant. [PIC4]
- You should see this mix...its insane. the water was actually draining even 10 min later. SO even little water will never be causing any problems. [PIC5]
- I then mixed 3 PLASTIC KNIFE tips of trich in my water bottle, and SHOWER SHOWERSHOWERSHOWER. I drenched the ceph from top all over the crown. ALL over the pitchers...some might even go inside the pitchers. [PIC6]
- SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER
- Well..pics snapping.
- with a big sigh of relief and hope of a recovery, I started with this post.