What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here with a purple pitcher of some sort.

Hey all. I have been getting into plants recently so I decided to get a Purple pitcher plant.
I already have a bonzai umbrella tree that I like alot.

I was doing some searching but still need to be schooled on my new addition.
I bought the plant from Lowes and found out when I get home the called those things death cubes. I took it out of the cube and put it on a plate in its container with water in the plate.
First of all I live in North Texas so needless to say it is hot and dry.
I was thinking of making a mini greenhouse so it could get some humidity.
Would it be ok just giving it a few hours of humidity a day and the rest just let it enjoy the sun without the mini greenhouse on it?
I am wanting to put it in a bigger pot. Is that ok and what kinda soil should I use?

I would apreciate all the help I can get.

I know next to nothing about Sarracenias, but what I can tell you for sure, is that if you use the search function in this forum, you will find a plethora of answers to your questions. Congrats on your purchase though :) and welcome to terra forums. If you have more specific questions about your plant, people will be more likely to answer them quickly. If you have any questions on Nepenthes, then there is something I can help you out with ;). Good Luck!

A mini greenhouse may well scortch your plant even only being in it for a few hours a day. Your best bet is to acclimate it to one temperature and let it be instead of constantly changing the conditions it lives in. Humidity is overrated; just give it full sun and clean distilled or RO water and it should do fine.

Welcome to terraforums, too!

xvart.

Thanks for the quick help. You answered my biggest question. I feel much better now about putting it outside.

Should I start with just a few hours in the morning outside then slowly leave it out longer and longer each day?

Should I start with just a few hours in the morning outside then slowly leave it out longer and longer each day?

That sounds a good plan.

Welcome to TF! ....and "How 'bout them Cowboys!" You could buy a whiskey barrel or some sort of large planter and fill it with sand, peat, and LFS (long fibered sphagnum) and plant the S. purpurea in it. keep well-watered and definitely outside, slowly moving it to full sun. Here's what I do with mine, also a "Lowes Cube Of Death":

IMG_0004.jpg

same plant, in the sun:

IMG_0043-1.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

Thanks Jim, I am feeling more confident now.

Back