What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STUFFED with ants

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
My sarracenia is kinda weird, I just got him and he was stuffed with ants. It has been about two weeks, and the ant numbers have died down a bit, but there are stil tons in there. And now it is Oct. 3rd, and the ends are turning brown. What the heck do I do?!?!???? ??? ???

img_1389.jpg

The ants won't dissolve completely. The plants can’t digest the exoskeleton of the insects it catches.

I'm only been growing CPs for a few months, so I can’t tell you why it’s turning brown.

What is that thing that looks like a split rock?

For a start, give that plant some light. I'm surprised anything could fit in those weak, light starved pitchers!

hey there!
johnnyfrye: how and where do you grow that sarracenia? outdoors or indoors? i agree with alexis, it does look a bit light starved... was it a hardware store type rescue thing?

in the fall, (like many of my sars now) they get the "spots" and some pitchers from earlier in the year are turning brown... its gettin' ready for dormancy! my plants are very much alive, but its just gettin ready to go to winter "sleep"

also: some of my capensiseseseses (thats a plural of a plural... LOL) are in a terrarium, some outdoors, and some just on a window -- i don't think you necessarily need the cover ...

poolboy -- the split rock is just that, a split rock. (google the name: Pleiospilos nelii) cool plants, i have a few mixed in between greenish grey rocks that look similar to it... its a pretty cool Genus of plants...

Back