What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephs being repotted - pics to share

Cindy

Staff member
Following the guru's suggestion, I repotted my Cephs. I was supposed to overturn the pots, fill the bottom of each pot with extra 2-3cm to raise the mound...so that the Cephs sit nicely above the edge of the pots. It wasn't easy for me 'cos my hands are small and each time I overturned the pot, the media fell off!

It made photographing them easier. :)

sccephs13.jpg

sccephs14.jpg

sccephs15.jpg

sccephs16.jpg

sccephs17.jpg

sccephs18.jpg

I thought since I was already covered with peat dust from repotting the larger Cephs, I might as well repot these.

10 month-old plant

Since it came in January this year, it has been in this pot. Moss has grown over the entire surface of the media.
10mthceph.jpg

The roots hit the bottom of the media where the LFS is.
10mthceph1.jpg

Close-up of the thin roots. They are very light pink in colour.
10mthceph2.jpg

Plant on top pf mound.
10mthceph3.jpg

Plant from another angle.
10mthceph4.jpg

20 month-old plant

Grown in this pot since it arrived last March.
20mthceph.jpg

NO ROOTS!!! :eek:
20mthceph1.jpg

I realised that the roots were restricted to only the top layer! Maybe that's why the pitchers look yellow!
20mthceph2.jpg

Repotted in peat and sand.
20mthceph3.jpg

It would be happier in the new media. The poor plant was tortured for 20 months!
20mthceph4.jpg

9-month old plant

I did the same thing...overturn, fill and repot!
9mthceph.jpg

9mthceph1.jpg

Great Pics. Thanks for sharing =). Good luck with the mini-root one =).

You really do love your perlite! :-D I see some winter leaves and potential sprouts. You may experience some of that Perlite floating and overflowing when you water. When watering, it works well from the top and not directly on the plant.

what size of sand grit are you using and where do you purchase it........looks like it works well.

curlingguy, the sand particles are about 2-3mm each. I got them at a local aquarium. :)

very nice pics cindy. You sure know how to grow this beast. :)

vraev, you should see how the large plants looked when they came...what they are now is 50% less leaves and pitchers. :blush:

hmm....do u have any comparision pics cindy? I still think it looks top notch. :)

Vraev,

When they came, all of them looked like these or better. :blush:

ceph300807.jpg

ceph2.jpg

well...its not looking too bad. :p you should be fine as you finally repotted it into new media. I can't believe my plant, its totally taken off after putting itin the new media. I mean it is forming multiple pitchers at once and the old ones are still there and not dead. I can't wait to see more than 2 pitchers at once. :p lol!

I dug out this old thread of mine, only to see "Attention: Last reply in this thread was more than 5 Months ago." :-))

Here are some of the repotted plants...repotted into ceramic pots. Anyone can tell me how long I have before I have to repot them into even larger pots?

ceph_cpot.jpg

ceph_cpot1.jpg

ceph_cpot2.jpg

ceph_cpot3.jpg

ceph_cpot4.jpg

Baby was like this when I repotted it in October last year.
10mthceph4.jpg

Now it is looking like this! :)
ceph_05033.jpg

Baby was like this when I repotted it in October last year.
10mthceph4.jpg

Now it is looking like this! :)
ceph_05033.jpg

Dang, peristomes very glossy and thick with nectar! Nice!! :-O

Nice green Cephs Cindy. :)

I like Cephs more green than the "tanned" red or burgundy colors...
thumbs_up.gif

Nice! I like your ceramic pots, they look great in them!..........Man I want a ceph...:-(

I dug out this old thread of mine, only to see "Attention: Last reply in this thread was more than 5 Months ago." :-))

lol. Now Cindy, you know why that feature was put in to place, don't you?! Just kidding. Maybe that just means we need updates more often! Thanks for sharing, they're looking great! That's quite the mound in that first picture.

xvart.

man i when i see that picture, it makes me want to shave out the hair. i like my pitcher extra-smooth lol?

Oh man your plants look awsome. I also just repoted my ceph and i will see how it is doing over time. Those new red growths are just amazing :0o:

xvart, believe you me...that high mound is not totally filled on the inside. The plant was already on a mound, and when I repotted the whole mass into the ceramic pot...the pushing and tucking of the uppermost moss layer somehow cause the mound to be raised even higher. If I tap the sides of the mound now, it feels kinda "empty". :blush:

Back