What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First dormancy, could use advice

This will be the first time I have to get my purpurea and dana's delight through dormancy so I'm a little hesitant. They've both been growing outside in ~8" pots and have been happy so far. The last week or so its been in the lower 30's at night so I'm guessing its time to do something. I have a small plastic shed in the backyard that I keep the lawnmower in, should I put them both in there? It doesn't allow any light inside when closed. Other than that I only have inside the house but the temps are pretty consistently warm all over the house.

Appreciate any help

This will be the first time I have to get my purpurea and dana's delight through dormancy so I'm a little hesitant. They've both been growing outside in ~8" pots and have been happy so far. The last week or so its been in the lower 30's at night so I'm guessing its time to do something. I have a small plastic shed in the backyard that I keep the lawnmower in, should I put them both in there? It doesn't allow any light inside when closed. Other than that I only have inside the house but the temps are pretty consistently warm all over the house.

Appreciate any help

:scratch: What zone do you live in?:suspect:

I'd be tempted to keep them outside, but in a sheltered location. Bubble wrap or fleece around the pots should keep the soil temperature up and rain out so that they don't turn into blocks of ice.

I agree with Alexis, they should be fine outside. I would just take them out of their trays (assuming you are using trays) and maybe put some pine/straw mulch on top of the media to offer a little protection.

They're actually in large pots, one drained and one undrained. Do they still require light during dormancy?

Yes they still need light.

THIS might be helpful if you looking into mulching....

Good luck!

Hey a thread I was going to start :D
Would a wood shed with a double pane sky light work ?
They would get ambiant light;they have been there for a few months but I am not sure when it goes down to 40F with frosts. I have some filformoris,dionea and sarrs in there should it wokr okay ?

FWIW I leave my plants outside year round and we get some hard freezes even this far south. The plants can take it down to 17F for a few days if needed. It is just prolonged freezes that are dangerous.

Thanks all, I suppose I'll give the pots a bit of insulation and see how nature goes.

If the purp is a ssp purpurea you can let it freeze solid all winter.
my purp purps are fine outside all winter here in Maine:), just make sure they don't freeze dry. I keep mine in a place out of direct wind.

Okay,well they shed will help with the frosts but I think there good for most of the year but I think they will be okay.

They'll take frosts for day on end, but suffer in piercing winds or in sodden situations where the plant becomes entombed in ice. So I'd be careful with the undrained pot, unless it is very large.

Having said that, purp ssp. purp can take pretty much anything!

Back