Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceph roots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant is on the way to its new owner!
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay well sometime when I get a little more confedent;
    well I can grow nepenthes okay so I think I could apply that with carefull watering it may just work.....................

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very very nice cindy. But personally, i wouldn't unpot a ceph if I don't have to. it takes more than a month to kick back sometimes and till then it just stays as usual green + no growth. It eats you up inside wondering if the plant is ok or not. lol!

but lol!...when I repotted, I snapped off soo many of those thin roots. At the end I was like "F*** it! I am doing a hard repot and just pulled the plant clean of all media around its roots. All that was left was a little carrot like end to the root with tiny hairs. Thats it. But I guess the plant responded to the better new conditions and took off in like a month or so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jm82792,
    I don't think watering is a issue as long as the media used is loose. I am using different media for potting the Cephs. And I water them every 1-2 days. I used to think that they need to be treated like N. ampullaria. Having lost many to root rot, I am now treating them like intermediate/highland Neps. Regular flushing with water, with a fast draining mix.

I am not confident at all about growing them because the few successes are only with small TC plants. This plant is a 2-3 year old cutting and it lost 30% of its oldest leaves and pitchers within a week of being potted. It was quite ugly looking but it recovered within a month. I would definitely encourage you to try growing Cephs again.

vraev,
    When the plants came, they only have the rhizome with none of those thin roots. So I am very encouraged by the amount of roots produced in 2 months. The plant started growing only about 2-3 weeks back. I have a couple of others in the same batch which are doing equally well. If I didn't have to send the plant bareroot to its new owner, I wouldn't know that they are capable of producing some much roots within such a short time.
    Cindy

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gotcha!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12