What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph roots

Cindy

Staff member
I got the plant in early September so it is about two months. The shoot coming out from the rhizome is new and the plant has quite a lot of roots! ^_^

ceph_roots.jpg

ceph_roots1.jpg

Put the roots back in! :-)) Seriously, I once accidently severed part of the adult plant while trying to pull a winterleaf. I placed the severed part in live LFS and it became a new plant.

That looks wonderful. Yesterday I was closing my window blinds, and the blind fell down and hit a cephalotus pot on my shelf. The whole pot flew off the table and fell onto the floor, and the cephalotus separated from its media. It looks like I don't have any roots at all but have grown on this plants that came a month or two ago. I think it's time for me to start getting overzealous in my attempts to make them grow faster. Your photographs are very good looking and rigorous plants. I just leave them be without any additional support. Maybe it's time I start to pamper and baby them.

I should try to grow a ceph,but I am afriad of it suddenly croaking.
If it check the plant daily and water accordingly will I be able to keep one for a long time?

I should try to grow a ceph,but I am afraid of it suddenly croaking.
If it check the plant daily and water accordingly will I be able to keep one for a long time?

jm82792: Grow grow grow. There's nothing that will help you learn to grow them, like giving it a good try.

Cindy: Looking very good. What temperatures do you grow them in?

Joseph, I have them in 80-90F. Humidity is rather high lately, around 60-80%.

Looking good.

They don't like their roots disturbing though - put it back!

The plant is on the way to its new owner! :)

Okay well sometime when I get a little more confedent;
well I can grow nepenthes okay so I think I could apply that with carefull watering it may just work.....................

very very nice cindy. But personally, i wouldn't unpot a ceph if I don't have to. it takes more than a month to kick back sometimes and till then it just stays as usual green + no growth. It eats you up inside wondering if the plant is ok or not. :p lol!

but lol!...when I repotted, I snapped off soo many of those thin roots. At the end I was like "F*** it! I am doing a hard repot and just pulled the plant clean of all media around its roots. All that was left was a little carrot like end to the root with tiny hairs. Thats it. But I guess the plant responded to the better new conditions and took off in like a month or so. :)

jm82792,
I don't think watering is a issue as long as the media used is loose. I am using different media for potting the Cephs. And I water them every 1-2 days. I used to think that they need to be treated like N. ampullaria. Having lost many to root rot, I am now treating them like intermediate/highland Neps. Regular flushing with water, with a fast draining mix.

I am not confident at all about growing them because the few successes are only with small TC plants. This plant is a 2-3 year old cutting and it lost 30% of its oldest leaves and pitchers within a week of being potted. It was quite ugly looking but it recovered within a month. I would definitely encourage you to try growing Cephs again.

vraev,
When the plants came, they only have the rhizome with none of those thin roots. So I am very encouraged by the amount of roots produced in 2 months. The plant started growing only about 2-3 weeks back. I have a couple of others in the same batch which are doing equally well. If I didn't have to send the plant bareroot to its new owner, I wouldn't know that they are capable of producing some much roots within such a short time. :)

gotcha! :)

Back