What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Makes me not want to trim up the Sarracenia for spring

look at this little guy that I found today

DSC00956.jpg

Would have been plenty cool if it had only been a brown anole, but that's even better. It's unfortunate that the green anoles are becoming so uncommon in Florida.

Would have been plenty cool if it had only been a brown anole, but that's even better. It's unfortunate that the green anoles are becoming so uncommon in Florida.

so i guess im not the first to ntice that!! when im in florida the only place i see the greenies is in and around Apalachicola. there are almost no browns.....its the opposite when im farther south in Ft. Meyers!!!!

neat picture though. love the contrast! i bet youll be looking down EVERY pitcher this year :)
Alex

Oh man, I'd probably puke if I snipped a pitcher and suddenly had anole juice squirting out. I see them every now and then in my yard but the brown have them outnumbered probably 150/200 to 1.

He's cute. Thanks for sharing that.

xvart.

Yeah, i think that the Green anoles like it a little cooler and the brown not so, cause I See these guys all the time, but I have yet to see a brown one up here

I see them every now and then in my yard but the brown have them outnumbered probably 150/200 to 1.

yeah, that's how it was for me when I used to live in West Palm Beach, every now and then I'd find one, and I would be so happy :-O

Great photo Dave! I looked at the exif data attached and saw that it was taken at 1/50 of a sec. It's really crisp for shooting that slow, did you use a tripod? If not you really have a steady hand..

Here is a bit of Green/Brown Anole trivia.

40 years ago, all I ever saw in the Tampa Bay area of Florida was Green Anole's, as years passed I started seeing the Brown's. Today in the Tampa Bay area all I ever see are Brown's. Currently, I am living in central Florida, about a hundred miles or so north of the Tampa Bay region. Here I see both, probably 30 to 40% green.
I had always been told the Browns were running the Greens off, it was only hearsay.

After reading Dave's post and your replies here, I thought I'd check that hearsay out to see if I'd find any supporting comments on the subject.
On the first page of a Google search I found this under the title of:

Invader Of The Month

The brown anole is a small Caribbean lizard that colonized south Florida and Mexico about 50-60 years ago, and more recently, Hawaii. At least eight other Caribbean lizards have become established in south Florida, but only the brown anole is expanding its range into other southeastern states. This species is arguably the most abundant terrestrial vertebrate in peninsular Florida, and often reaches densities of more than one individual per square meter in disturbed habitats!

The brown anole is thought to be responsible for a dramatic decline of previously stable urban and rural populations of the green anole, the only anole native to the United States. Green anoles often undergo a habitat shift and disappear within a few years after brown anole arrival. The two species are similar in size and overlap considerably in their diets, suggesting dietary resource competition. Predation on green anole hatchlings has also been demonstrated, suggesting that an ecological double-whammy termed "intra-guild predation" (competitors that also eat each other) might better describe the interaction.

Despite declines, green anole populations often remain viable in the face of dense brown anole populations when understory vegetation is present, suggesting that suitable cover for hatchlings is important for long-term green anole survival. This illustrates how a powerful synergism between habitat alteration and biological invasions can affect native species.

And from another site, I couldn't leave out this

When you capture them, they will attempt two defensive moves, first they will open their little mouths to bite you, don't fear, if they do bite you you will hardly notice it, their teeth are too tiny to do any damage. In fact, when we were kids growing up in Florida we used to capture these little guys and latch them onto our earlobes as living-lizard-earrings. The anole's second defensive move will be to poop in your hand when captured. Don't worry, the poop is pretty tiny too, nothing too terribly disgusting, but be sure to wash your hands with soap and water after contact with these lizards (or any reptile for that matter) as they may possibly harbor salmonella.

Thanks Igrow.

Actually I just used my hand, but I took several pictures.

When I was younger I also used to attach anoles to my earlobes. It was fun for the first 5 times

However I have caught many a green anole, yet I have yet to have one poop in my hand, however they do occasionally drop off their tails.

I've lived in St. Petersburg and Winter Springs. And so far the only place I've seen the greenies in abundance is Weedon Island, a neat little preserve not far from St. Pete.

man that's cute, i've never seen one in my place in california.

hahaha good memories from florida
i used to live in Jacksonville, i quite remember catching brownies and greenies all of the time
i did notice that the greens for alot more uncommon than the browns but still pleanty of them.
i used to hang them from my ears as well xD
then i tried it with a skink.
that kinda hurt lol

so i guess im not the first to ntice that!! when im in florida the only place i see the greenies is in and around Apalachicola. there are almost no browns.....its the opposite when im farther south in Ft. Meyers!!!!

neat picture though. love the contrast! i bet youll be looking down EVERY pitcher this year :)
Alex

Are they not common anymore for some reason? I used to see green ones all the time in the Orange Park area (south of Jacksonville) where I was born and haven't visited in about 10 years.

That's so cool. I would have been amazed to see that. I use to have green anoles but they were to quick for me to hold so I sold them off to someone and got into geckos. So now I got geckos but I can't hold them cause everytime they poop on me. ARGGG

Cute picture I love green anole when I lived in Louisiana I'd catch them and put one in a 10 gal tank for a few days I feed it bugs that it liked also my friend would do the anole earring thing, but I never did.

The house I had was a anole magnet they would be all over the place on the house, the trees, and fences also I'd see them on the rain gutters showing off with their colorful throats those.

Back