Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many ways you can do it. I use my fingers most of the time, even if you cant see what you are doing you can feel your way to where the leaf connects and gently pull downward. If you are nervous of doing damage to the plant you can use the eraser end of a pencil to get in there and gently push down where the leaf connects. You can use tweezers too. Just be careful! Sometimes leaves pull off easy, and sometimes especially with Hummers Giants, they are a bit more tougher to pull off.
    JMatt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMatt View Post
    Always try and get the leaf to break off right where it connects to the stem.
    You want to see a little of the white tissue from the stem on the end of your cutting.
    A cutting broken off before the connection at the stem generally will not work.
    Live sphagnum moss works real good for taken cuttings! It acts as a natural fungicide.
    Interesting. Unlike VFT pullings, I have not found Ceph leaf propagation to be as sensitive in their need for a pulled piece "of the white tissue from the stem". After one bad experience where I snapped the main stem rather than pulling off a leaf, I often use an exacto blade to reach into the jumble and cut the leaf that I want. Since I have been starting the leaves in live LFS and placing directly in the pot, I've been close to 100% for the last year or 2 (so it seems to work). I may inadvertently be getting the same cells as a leaf pulling but it has not been a primary focus...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask how to distinguish between a hummer's giant, a germant giant, an australian giant, and a typical ceph? I've read that there are subtle differences in the ribs here and there but when I look at photos, they all look the same to me. I'm sorry!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I noticed about Hummers Giants. The rib in the center of the pitcher grows very wide even from an early stage. Much wider than other large clones I've seen. I'm not sure what the german clone or others look like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMatt, I'm even more confused now. The single pitcher you have in your hand has a large rib for sure, but the ones in the first post dont look as large as the one in your hand. They look like regular ceph photos I've seen. But the first post is of your hummers whole plant right? A simple google search , http://images.google.com.sg/images?h...-8&sa=N&tab=wi showed cephalotuses with ribs of similar sizes. They look similar to a google search for hummers http://images.google.com.sg/images?h...s+hummer&gbv=2

Do you have a normal ceph? Maybe if I saw a photo containing the two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hummers Giant plant that I traded here is only two years old from a cutting. Still very young. I have other plants of the same clone that are much older, five or six yrs maybe older? The older, more mature they are they produce pitchers that way. His plant in time will be just like that, very wide center rib as long as the plant is happy and growing well. I actually have a few different clones, One where the pitchers never seem to get any bigger than maybe 3/4 inch. I can try and gather up some different pictures if you want, but if you do a search under JMatt or cephalotus you might find many other photos I already posted.
    The Hummers Giant clone is a very nice clone, but it is a slow grower and can take a long time to show it's true potential.
    JMatt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b.t. View Post
    JMatt, I'm even more confused now. The single pitcher you have in your hand has a large rib for sure, but the ones in the first post dont look as large as the one in your hand.
    The wide mid-rib is also a trait I've noticed with my Cephs (which are HG clones). While there is obviously some variability from plant to plant and pitcher to pitcher, in general they are wider than most of the other clones in circulation. Although this is a decent indicator, it is not foolproof given the variability in plants. Like most VFT cultivars, if you do not know the genealogy of your plant, I would not label it as an HG. To see some variability, look over here at a pic from Barry's recent trip to Oz.

Here's a pic that I recently posted over on CPUK to show the step-function size increase in pitchers when they decide to change from baby pitcher to adult size. This plant was less than 6 mo from rooted cutting to adult pitchers. It also shows the wider-than-normal mid-rib.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's mine. I don't know if it has a wider than normal ala or not. You guys have betters eyes than mine The first set of pics look like a rather elongated oval shaped ala, while the rest look more triangular.

I like the second pic so much, it's my desktop It looks like there's a spider spelunking with a flashlight in one of the pitchers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast