What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'

cprus

BANNED
Updated!!

Before
Ceph2.jpg

Here's the plant almost 3 months later. Since the last update, the plant has basically gone crazy! It won't stop growing...
Setup.jpg

Ceph1-1.jpg

Ceph2-1.jpg

Ceph3-1.jpg

Ceph4-1.jpg

Ceph5-1.jpg

And for the American Muscle fans out there, my chevy 350 small block I'm working on
Engine.jpg

Also, does anyone know where I can buy cloning gel locally in the California bay area? I've only been able to find powdered rootone so far.

Last edited:
Looking real good! I would also attempt sprouting the "winter" leaves as backups.

Hiya Cprus-

Congrats on your trade :-D

I'm happy to see that the Ceph is acclimating well for you.

I guess you have to change your qoute under your replies now . . .:-))

Good Growing,
Bo

wow! that is a fantastic sized plant. :D

Looking good!
Imagine, that plant was in a tank when I had it. I Potted it up, watched it for a day or two then shipped it to you with no shock at all! Very careful re potting payed off. You should have a real nice specimen in no time. If you need any advice on cuttings just ask, I am in the process of taking many myself right now. What is PC lighting?
JMatt

Power compact. It's fantastic. Almost as fantastic as that Cephalotus!

LLeopardGGecko,
That plant is in a six inch pot. Believe me it was real heavy and tricky to mail all potted up!
I think it was seven pounds.
JMatt

Oh ok, I don't use that kind of lighting. I'll have to check into it though.
Thanks.
JMatt

LLeopardGGecko,
That plant is in a six inch pot. Believe me it was real heavy and tricky to mail all potted up!
I think it was seven pounds.
JMatt

That's incredible! You get major points for packing it so well, since it looks as if the plant arrived unscathed. Do you know how old that specimen is?

Surprisingly not that old. It was just a leaf, or pitcher cutting two years ago. I can't remember which it was? I would have to look back in old photos. I use Dip N Grow liquid rooting hormone and the cuttings over time form these massive clumps with many growing points.
Some grow quicker than others and on a few occasions I have even broke free the original leaf I took the cutting with and reused it for another cutting. Right now is a great time to take cuttings. They root great in cooler weather. I have done it in the summer, but always get better results during the fall/winter.
JMatt

Fascinating information. I've got a Hummer's Giant growing peacefully in a 10 gallon tank of my own. I've had it for quite some time but I change its conditions way too often. As a result it's in a perpetual state of recovery.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have taken a few cuttings from the plant but I am unsure if I can take the cut near the end of the leaf or if it has to be at the base close to the stem. I've soaked the leaves in superthrive and dipped in rootone. Then into the NZ LFS.

Always try and get the leaf to break off right where it connects to the stem.
You want to see a little of the white tissue from the stem on the end of your cutting.
A cutting broken off before the connection at the stem generally will not work.
Live sphagnum moss works real good for taken cuttings! It acts as a natural fungicide.
What I do sometimes is just put live sphagnum in a Tupperware bowl, put your cuttings in and cover the cut ends with the sphagnum. Cover the container with the lid it has and keep cool and bright. When you see the roots about an inch long carefully re pot trying not to break the roots in peat, sand, perlite mix. You can also root them in rock wool cubes. Once rooted just place the rockwool cube in a bigger pot with your peat, sand, perlite mix.
JMatt

Thanks JMatt. As for taking the cutting, how should I go about going through the plant to get to the stem? The plant is a twirly mess of growth points and while that's good, it makes leaf pulling a pain. Any tips on that as well? Thanks

There are many ways you can do it. I use my fingers most of the time, even if you cant see what you are doing you can feel your way to where the leaf connects and gently pull downward. If you are nervous of doing damage to the plant you can use the eraser end of a pencil to get in there and gently push down where the leaf connects. You can use tweezers too. Just be careful! Sometimes leaves pull off easy, and sometimes especially with Hummers Giants, they are a bit more tougher to pull off.
JMatt

Always try and get the leaf to break off right where it connects to the stem.
You want to see a little of the white tissue from the stem on the end of your cutting.
A cutting broken off before the connection at the stem generally will not work.
Live sphagnum moss works real good for taken cuttings! It acts as a natural fungicide.
Interesting. Unlike VFT pullings, I have not found Ceph leaf propagation to be as sensitive in their need for a pulled piece "of the white tissue from the stem". After one bad experience where I snapped the main stem rather than pulling off a leaf, I often use an exacto blade to reach into the jumble and cut the leaf that I want. Since I have been starting the leaves in live LFS and placing directly in the pot, I've been close to 100% for the last year or 2 (so it seems to work). I may inadvertently be getting the same cells as a leaf pulling but it has not been a primary focus... ???

May I ask how to distinguish between a hummer's giant, a germant giant, an australian giant, and a typical ceph? I've read that there are subtle differences in the ribs here and there but when I look at photos, they all look the same to me. I'm sorry!

This is what I noticed about Hummers Giants. The rib in the center of the pitcher grows very wide even from an early stage. Much wider than other large clones I've seen. I'm not sure what the german clone or others look like?

dsc01452ko8.jpg

Back