What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

accidental freeze while cold stratifying

hi
im cold stratifying some mixed sarracenia seeds and i noticed today that they had frozen in my frig. i looked at them a couple of days ago and they were fine so its probably only been 2 days. ive turned down my frig and im sure they could get worse in nature so im thinking im fine but if im not id rather know it now than in a few months when nothing sprouts.
any thoughts?
thanks
Darren

Welcome.

Though only time will tell, I would imagine that they would be fine. I've heard of people making seedcicles for simulating the winter season. Unless your fridge is THAT cold, it should be fine.

I'm with Est, only time will tell and I do agree, I'm sure they suffer through more in nature than a mere two days of light frost.

A seedsickle is excatly what JBL does!

Mine are in the greenhouse from now until they germinate in spring. They've been frozen on and off for a week now, but will be fine.

Freezing can actually speed up the vernalization/stratification process. The seeds will be fine. They freeze in their native habitats.

dKing, there is no harm. I kept some sarras seeds in the frozen compartment and had good germination.

I thought freezing was no shortcut to stratification Brooks? 4 weeks at 4C is better than 3 weeks at 0 I understood?

Back