What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph Leaf Pulling - Did I do okay?

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
My Cephalotus has been making quite a few non-carnivorous leaves so I thought I'd try a leaf pulling, turns out the stem went decently far down so I didn't get the whole petiole but most of it I guess, heres a pic:

2007123008488bj9.jpg

If it dies, oh well, I hope it doesn't kill the Mama plant! =(.

Leaf cuttings work best when you get some of the white rhizome attached when you pull it off.

Like elgecko said, the more "complete" the leaf cutting is, the better chances are that it will take. That being mentioned, I've had good luck with Ceph leaf cuttings, even the ones that I thought to be hopeless. As long as you get a decent chunk of plant material and keep it warm, wet and under strong lights, the chances are good that some baby Cephs will make their way out of the peat and perlite.

Embedding the basal part in LFS, particularly live, even at a sunny window sill, works well. My current plant is a leaf cutting survivor from a plant that elgecko gave me, a few years ago.

Original plant:

C_follicularis.jpg

AF003201.jpg

Leaf cutting in background:

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

I'm doing mine in a mediocrly sunny window, it gets good sun for a few hours, then it's bright shade, then at night it is dimly lit by a fluorescent light. I don't have any LFS (can't keep it alive). The Mama Ceph grows in the same soil as the cutting (except the perlite is replaced with sand), and in a bright windowsill, in 30-40% humidity, has repeated cycles of wet-dry soil. Thank you for your help, I probably could have done a little better but, ah, well, only time will tell if this works out.

Back