Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy for S. Flava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dormancy for S. Flava

I just received 2 S. Flava, i searched on the forum but i still uncertain about dormancy. I'm unsure if my fridge is the best best for my Flava. The fridge is at 35 degrees with 50% humidity. I would put it outside but the weather keeps going anyway where from 50 to 15 degrees.What puzzles me is:
    Is 35 degrees too cold for S. Flava?
    Does the plant require any light during it's dormancy?
    Can i let the soil dry out or do i keep it moist?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Treat it the same as a VFT dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 might be too cold if you could provide shelter from the wind a shed might be fine no 35F is not too cold thats a great temperature for that plant 35-40F is nice for dormancy.
    from what I have heard they can handle 20F for a few days but I am not sure about 15 sorry I couldn't help more.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an S. flava outdoors in a bog pan which survived being frozen solid in 19 degree weather (zone 8, southeast), ~30% relative humidity, and extreme wind chill down into the single digits. However, this is after nearly a year of outdoor acclimation. Hopefully the plants you received were well grown, and in conditions as similar to yours as possible to reduce stress. They certainly have the potential to weather a lot of different conditions, but a plant is typically only as strong as the quality of care it receives. What should be of concern is lengthy temperature drops under freezing (for a week or more)(only if they are containerized; in a large bog setting cold can be handled much better by the plants), and if this happens try to find either warmer outdoor conditions, perhaps try a sunnier spot, several inches (3+) of mulch, or heat pad/submersible water heater, or move the plants inside until you can move them back out again. Even if your outdoor temp fluctuates between 15-50, photoperiod matters more to Sarracenia than temperature alone and even with GA temps being in the upper 60s right now for a few days, my S. flava hasn't broken dormancy. Even inside by a south-facing window maintains the winter photoperiod, so even if it's tens of degrees warmer by bringing them inside it shouldn't break dormancy. If temperature is of concern try to find a window that perhaps isn't insulated as well (or part of the house you don't heat that has a window) as it should be and lets in a cooling draft of air at night. I have a small leucophylla undergoing dormancy on a similar system inside of a water bottle on my windowsill.

Watering should be just enough to keep the media moist. When my bog pans begin getting dry at the surface, I figure that's a good enough time to give them a little bit more water. Just poke around with a finger a couple inches in. Too much water can cause rot/fungus, and as many Sarracenia have their leaves die back during dormancy, without leaves there isn't much photosynthesis, and thus not much need for light or water. They can't "pump out" the water at as fast a rate without leaves as they can with leaves. Phyllodia are a different story, and if your plants have them I'd recommend allowing them to have light, but still cut back on the watering to just keep the media moist.

hope this helps

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in N. Ga and don't water my temperate plants at all in the winter. The media stays just barely damp all winter long from any rain they get naturally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Its_a_friday View Post
    I just received 2 S. Flava, i searched on the forum but i still uncertain about dormancy. I'm unsure if my fridge is the best best for my Flava. The fridge is at 35 degrees with 50% humidity. I would put it outside but the weather keeps going anyway where from 50 to 15 degrees.What puzzles me is:

where do you live?

*scot mutters quietly to himself*

It would be SO handy if people would just fill in the "Location" info in their profiles
    just a city and state is fine..
    I have to ask this question all the time first..
    "where do you live?".. before a reasonable answer can even be attempted..
    people can answer questions much better if they know where you live..
    especially useful for a CP forum and questions about dormancy...

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by Its_a_friday View Post
    IMHO, I believe the more vital question is, are your Flavas already dormant? The supplier you got them from might have already initiated dormancy, in which case it would be best to continue their dormancy.
    However, if dormancy was never initiated by the supplier and you received them "non-dormant" then I don't see why you just can't skip dormancy this season, read up on all you can about dormancy and similar issues for the rest of the year, and then put them through dormancy next winter. By doing so, you will be more confident and probably more successful. Plus, the plants won't mind skipping dormancy this year.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    where do you live?

*scot mutters quietly to himself*

It would be SO handy if people would just fill in the "Location" info in their profiles
    just a city and state is fine..
    I have to ask this question all the time first..
    "where do you live?".. before a reasonable answer can even be attempted..
    people can answer questions much better if they know where you live..
    especially useful for a CP forum and questions about dormancy...

Scot
    srry, still trying to get use to these forums
    Finer in 09'er

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast