User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed, but seemingly common S. Hybrid?

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Unnamed, but seemingly common S. Hybrid?

I have a S. Leucophylla x Oreophila hybrid and an S. Catesbaei. I've noticed that most Sarracenia hybrids are named, eg: S. Catesbaei is a cross between S. Purpurea and S. Flava, but this hybrid, (S. Leucophylla x S.Oreophila) doesn't seem to be. Can anyone tell me the name of this hybrid, or is it unnamed?
    (All other Oreophila hybrids seem to go like this: Oreophila x Purpurea=S. Pureophila, Oreophila x Minor= S.Mineophila)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1The species S. alabamensis, S. jonesii, and S. oreophila have no
    named hybrids, so are not included in the table.
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5547.html

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but THERE ARE named oreophila hybrids, google them if you want!
    Oreophila x Purpurea=S. Pureophila
    Oreophila x Minor= S.Mineophila

Actually you have to visit AllExperts.com they have a Sarracenia Hybrid list
    Last edited by xvart; 01-23-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: merged posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the names were given as people thought wild hybrids were completely new species. Some, such as leucophylla x oreophila don't occur in the wild and were not given names.

Others were bred artificially and given new names, such as S.x chelsonii, named after Chelsea in London. In this case though, there are wild examples of rubra x purpurea, but it wasn't probably realised at the time.

S.x miniophila and pureophila were also named when they were bred in cultivation. But it looks like nobody bothered with leucophylla x oreophila!

In theory, all the hybrid names should be ditched, but convention means they are still commonly used.

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hybrid names are useful, shortening the amount of time taken to say and write things, but I think someone needs to go along and fill in the spaces. Some are appropriately named, like S. Psittata as a hybrid between Psitticina and Alata. Anyone with half a brain and any knowledge of Sarracenia could work that out! So I think that if it isn't already named S. Leucophylla x Oreophila should be called as a hybrid name 'S. Leuceophila to fit in with the other oreophila hybrids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet that leuceophila would end up being written as just leucophylla by mistake quite often though!

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mineophila, minophila, etc...are just cheap names given to the hybrids by hobbyests. Catesbaei was at one time considered a species, and this is the reason it has the nice name.

Even though i dont like them, i do like making up some names!

how about Leucoreola (luke-ore-eo-la) for leucophylla x oreophila?
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can not just make up names willy-nilly. All the Latinized hybrids have their names because, as Obregon said, they were once thought to be true species. Once it became known that they were hybrids the Latin names had been published so they were not changed except to add the 'x' (hybrida) to designate that they were hybrids.

Hybrids created since then (like those with oreophila which has no naturally occurring hybrids) were known hybrids from the start and as such they were not given Latinized names. The *******ized names like minophila and purpophila and psittata are nothing more than crap and are not correct to use (in fact they should not be used.)

The proper way to discuss hybrids is by listing the parentage. That convention is even beginning to apply to those that have Latinized names. The system is not designed to make it time convenient for those too impatient/lazy to type. It is designed to properly identify the plants for what they are. If you find it too burdensome to type S. leucophylla x oreophila then abbreviate it to S. l x o or S. leuco x oreo. But do not just go making up names to suit yourself.

And if that does not motivate you to do it correctly then look at it this way. How about we all just be too lazy to bother to learn the Latin for any CPs because it is just too hard to pronounce and remember. We'll just call them by their common names because that is so much easier. So, with that in mind who wants to trade? I have a flycatcher that is of nice size available. I am looking for other flycatchers but I don't want flycatchers because I have enough of those already. PM me if you are interested.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast