Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Family member :D my baby ceph

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mobile, look under this link at Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'. Very interesting and informitive artical where John Hummer says he "started growing the rest inside a terrarium where I have maintained them ever since." According to the dates on the artical, that appears to be from 1986 - 2000. Looks like they can be grown quite successfully in a terrarium. Having said that, I don't think I would grow thim without pots in a terrarium, as drainage is critical to avoid root rot.
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know everyone has their own preferences; but which is it?

Terrarium or no terrarium for Cephs??

What say ye?
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thbjr View Post
    mobile, look under this link at Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'. Very interesting and informitive artical where John Hummer says he "started growing the rest inside a terrarium where I have maintained them ever since." According to the dates on the artical, that appears to be from 1986 - 2000. Looks like they can be grown quite successfully in a terrarium. Having said that, I don't think I would grow thim without pots in a terrarium, as drainage is critical to avoid root rot.
    Tom
    Thanks for the link, it is an article that I am aware of. The issue I have with terrariums is with humidity. If ventilation is adequate then this is not too much of an issue, however, if it gets too high then this can cause fungal issues with some species, such as those that don't come from a humid environment in their natural habitat.

I grow one of my Cephalotus planted directly in a glass bowl but this has a very large opening so humidity doesn't build up. However, this does mean that there is no drainage holes; the way to get around this is to put drainage material in the bottom - I use expanded clay pebbles. This plant grows very well, despite not having high humidity - a picture of it can be seen here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...=111435&page=3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont use my terrarium like many other people do.
    i set the pots in the terrarium which is just a 20gallon tank on its side.
    i fill the tank up with a little bit of water once every few days
    and let it fully evaporate and let the soil from the other pots try a little to avoid root rot and things getting water logged.

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir K, sounds to me like it will work well. Pleanty of ventalation. But then, I'm a rooky at growing them too.

Mobile, sorry if that post came off sounding argumentitive. Obviously, they can be grown in a terrarium, with proper ventilation, as your own pictures show.
    Nice looking Cephs....both of you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my terrarium has an opened front unless i pull the cover i made over it to build up humidity.
    but even then a good 3 inches are left uncovered at the bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my cephs in a terrarium - but a LARGE terrarium so its more like a mini greenhouse. Its a 50 gallon tank, grow light is on top of the tank, and its only halfway covered, there is plenty of ventilation...
    as long as there is plenty of ventilation, they should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for terrarium. I have 2 cephs, one growing outdoors (though growing by a window now that it's winter) and one that grows in a terrarium. The outdoors one looks awful, the terrarium grown one is healthy and red. During the summer, it can get over 95 degrees in the terrarium, but it doesn't seem to care. None of my plants in the terrarium seem to care about extreme heat.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast