What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my Hummer's Giant

hope it potted it correctly
HummersGiant002.jpg

HummersGiant001.jpg

thanks
too bad i didnt grow it to the great specimen it is
all credit goes to JustLikeAPill
i love it so much
THANKS CLINT

thought id replace the pics here.
i cleaned up my hummer's giant today
had some soil on the underside of the pitcher
looked all...ick
so here it is now
HummersGiantandTypical002.jpg

and my typical is opening a new pitcher soon (largest on the left)
HummersGiantandTypical003.jpg

How come you potted it so shallow??

neither of them are potted "Shallow"
the typical came in that 2" pot and will stay there until it needs to be repotted, its 2" by 3 1/2" deep
and the other is a 6.3" clay terra cotta.
about 8" deep.
i only had enough media to fill it up to where it is on my Hummer's

Oh, they came that way...

I've always seen people's Cephs all mounded up; maybe they grew that way, I dunno...

I pre-mounded my typical in an 8" pot when it arrived. I read somewhere that mounded Cephs are happier because it helps keep their crowns dry. :)

Nice plant. Very nice coloration too. Do you grow them under halide lights or just good sun?

I read somewhere that mounded Cephs are happier because it helps keep their crowns dry.

I "mound" my plants too. I also plant them in deep pots which allows me to keep them sitting in water without oversaturating the mix. I let the water evaporate and wait a few days before refilling the water in the tray.

the typical is just grown in my terrarium so it doesnt have any coloration other than the green
the Hummer's Giant came like that from JustLikeAPill so i cannot take credit for it.

i think im done messing with it. ive seen many pics of happy cephs growing in live LFS
so i threw a top layer on.

HummersGiant006.jpg

i think im done messing with it. ive seen many pics of happy cephs growing in live LFS
so i threw a top layer on.

HummersGiant006.jpg

I personally prefer to not use a top dressing of LFS as it keeps the crown wet all the time. I plant mine on a mound of soil to try to ensure that the crown doesn't get wet too often. Many cultivation guides say not to stand these plants constantly in water as it encourages rot but LFS likes to be very wet all the time. All the pictures I have seen of their natural habitat show them growing in mainly wet grasslands.

I personally prefer to not use a top dressing of LFS as it keeps the crown wet all the time. I plant mine on a mound of soil to try to ensure that the crown doesn't get wet too often. Many cultivation guides say not to stand these plants constantly in water as it encourages rot but LFS likes to be very wet all the time. All the pictures I have seen of their natural habitat show them growing in mainly wet grasslands.

true, it can keep the crown wet but not soaking wet.
my LFS is usually pretty damp but not soaking wet or anything. Charles Brewer said could use it to great effect. and alot of people use it. but ill keep an eye on it.

pitchers are finally opening back up
HummersGiant008.jpg

Back