What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is the whitest Sarr?

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
Does anyone grow the S. x 'Hurricane Creek White' hybrid?

I’m looking to grow the whitest S. leucophylla I can find. Hopefully this spring & summer…

I’ve read that 'Hurricane Creek White' is the one of the whitest Sarrs around and that it’s fairly hardy too.

So, how white is white?

:pics:

I didn't know it was a hybrid, I thought that was location data.

Yes, I grow it. It's stunningly large compared to other leucos. It's extinct in the wild.

HCW is a pure leuco not a hybrid and the site was not actually destroyed as was reported.

THe plant I have labeled as HCW has a fair amount of red to it still. The antho free leuco is definitely more shock white (all other leucos have a faint pink tinge to them if you compare to the antho free form) but the aereolata are not as large/prominent on it

Does anyone grow the S. x 'Hurricane Creek White' hybrid?

It's not a hybrid, the original plant was a wild-collected cultivar.

A friend of mine gave me a division of a plant that he got directly from John Hummer.

The plant produced one of the whitest pitchers I've ever seen. One of my favorite plants in my collection!

Haven't seen one "whiter" than this one...

Ken

How about alba...

Hmmm.... it's pretty close. But I have to admit, that particular alba is whiter than my Hurricane Creek White.

Ken

Hey Chloroplast, Took me some time to find the pics, but here is my HCW. They can turn red if damaged, but very white when happy :-D
JMatt
necpsshow082vt4.jpg

hurricanecreekwhite2nq0.jpg

hurricanecreekwhite1cc0.jpg

Wow. Stunning

I love my Hurricane Creek White also. It is more vigorous than some of the Antho-free leucos. Note that HCW is a population, and individual plants/clones may differ slightly. Likewise if you grow seed form them, some individuals may have some more red in them and should not be given the name HCW (although they may otherwise be very nice leucos!).

Great pics!!

I love the white/green color combination.

In your experience growing the Sarr HCW; do you find it as fast a grower as your other Sarrs?

Fryster-
It grows reasonably fast. Note that all leucos make their best pitchers in late summer/fall. They generally have a couple ok pitchers in the spring and may take some time off in between.

Back